SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

My Midwinter Report -- SE Michigan

denninmi
14 years ago

Well, I left my palms, a few other things, and a Musella in my lexan and brick greenhouse, and protected with bags of leaves on the perimeter, foamboard, and fiberglass insulation. I have some CFC lights going in there, too.

So far, things look great. I have a little tipburn on the new leaves of the California Fans, but I think it may be from being too close to the lights, not touching, since I have wire shields/cages, but I think it might just be drying them out. And, the Musella froze off somewhat, the thinner stuff at the top. Otherwise, things look perfect.

Now, our November was awesome and warm, December has been below normal for the highs, but no excessively cold nights, a few nights around 12-14 degrees, most nights around 18-24. A couple of days, including Christmas, above freezing, with almost 48 hours above freezing on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with heavy, cold rain.

January has brought our coldest temps -- low friday night/saturday morning was 7, low sunday morning was 2, with windchills in the -20 range.

So, I cheated -- put a space heater in there Saturday morning. It has a thermometer right on it, when I plugged it in, down at ground level, it said the temp was 30. I turned it off this morning, and the temp was 56. I can't afford to run it the whole winter, but I certainly can run it on those nights when temps are going below about 10 degrees, which should be probably something like 10 to 15 days over the winter.

January through late March is our period of potential lows below the teens. It will go fast. Looking forward to spring.

Comments (3)