SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aka_peggy

Report on my Ison muscadines

aka_peggy
16 years ago

It seems that many folks here on the forum have a low opinion of the Ison muscadine. Even the University of Arkansas gives them a bad rap.

"Yields for 'Ison' were usually low. Fruit quality was rated highly except for flavor. Fruit rots were observed but were not severe. Vine hardiness was the poorest of all entries tested, and by 1997, all vines had died from winter injury."

I planted Ison 3 yrs ago in my Maryland garden and I was very pleased this year with a good harvest. Both DH & I found the flavor to be excellent. In fact, at the moment we're visiting family on the Outer Banks of NC (our home state) and have had a fair sampling of muscadines and scuppernong's over the last week. I even brought some of my Ison's along to do a taste comparison.

Unfortunately, I don't know the type of the local varieties. We bought some at a roadside stand, some at the local supermarket and some from wild vines on a relatives property. They didn't taste any better than Ison. In fact, some weren't as good. The fruits of Ison are larger than most we had. Only the ones at the roadside stand were as large and they were very similiar in taste and appearance to Ison.

As for hardiness, I planted mine in a protected area on the south side of the house. Recent winters have been mild so maybe mine will be killed in a "normal" winter. If it does, I will cry.

FWIW, I got my plant from Edible Landscaping.

Comments (14)