SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyrsyan

Need Help Choosing Muscadines

kyrsyan
14 years ago

I'm currently planting at a new house and most of my planned landscaping is edible plants. My son and I have a liking for the black or red muscadines but I'm having problems choosing plants because I have no real experience with them. I went through the extension services pamphlets and somewhat narrowed down the cultivars. Then I called the master gardener line. That didn't go well. So I'm asking for anyone here who has experience to please give me their recommendations.

Please realize that growing any form of grape is new to me. I'm in extreme North Alabama and do get cold weather so the plants need to be somewhat cold hardy. Since I can only really put in 3 or 4 plants I'm sticking with the self fertile varieties.

Here's the list I managed to narrow down from the extension service information: Alachua, Cowart, Duplin, Ison, Nesbitt, Noble, Redgate, Regale, Tarheel. I'd be interested in others if you've had good experience with them growing in this area but only black or red cultivars. We will be using them for fresh eating, juice, and canning.

Comments (7)