SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Alerts..something to keep in mind

seedmama
13 years ago

Dawn is SOO GOOOD about letting us know about severe weather, so I wanted to share something that perhaps doesn't get considered. GardenWeb uses some fancy mathematical formula to determine how high a thread is on the page. A thread with no follow up posts stays high on the page for quite some time, and helps to attract the attention of someone signing on. I think high on the page is a great place for Dawn's weather alerts.

Please note that once a thread gets a follow up post, it is deemed less significant and begins its journey to the bottom. Yes, posts with TONS of follow ups will stay high, but not those with say 2 or 5 or 9 follow up posts. Therefore, if I, as a grateful person with good intentions, were to post, "Thanks Dawn for the heads up!" the thread would mathematically begin its descent down the page, and I wouldn't really be helping my fellow gardeners.

New, relevant information might very well be useful on the same thread, and justify the trade off, so it really is a judgement call. I'm hoping that sharing my thoughts will give us all something to think about. I hope I've written this in a way that isn't offensive to anyone, and will be useful information.

With good intentions,

Seedmama

Comment