SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_h_gw

Gardening in Haiti

Lisa_H OK
13 years ago

Remember I was asking about seeds to send to Haiti? Because of some really great suggestions from ya'll, I ended up with a bucket load of seeds that I have sent to three different organizations. Two were starting garden programs and 1 is an ongoing agriculture program.

Larry, I want to thank you again for pointing me in the direction of the farmers coop. They were clearancing out last year's seed and I cleaned up..I sent enough okra seed to feed the entire nation I think :) Plus I sent a lot of beans. No clue what kind...contender is one of the names I remember. I also send a number of different kinds of squash and pumpkin. Oh, and I just sent a huge amount of beet seeds. They have plenty of seeds for this year, so she said they were going to share the second and third rounds of seeds that she received this week with some farmers in the mountains.

Anyway, I've been meaning to post these pictures that were posted to facebook for me a month ago. It is from one of the organizations. I hear there are more pictures on the way. I'll post them when I see them.

In the garden: cabbage, beans, spinach, onions, squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, plantain trees, yams, beets,

carrots, okra, tomatoes, etc

Watering is done by channeled water from the well and by watering can. We hope to get drip irrigation set up soon.

Some of the older kids come each afternoon to water the garden. I don't think the fact that the mangoes on the trees are ripening has anything at all to do with that...

Mita, Magareth, Judeline and Ti Nason taking turns pumping water to the garden

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022