SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soccer_dad

Lawn Seed Selection

soccer_dad
16 years ago

I'm enthusiastic so far in the organic approach to lawn care and I thank the posters on this forum for their valuable information. I'm getting good results, but this fall is the first time I've used feed grains for fertilizer. A long way to go. I'm already thinking about my approach to improving the lawn next fall. I can't find comparative pictures of lawns and I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the types and varieties of lawn seed. My lawn is in Northern Virginia. I used Lesco Transition TTTF this fall and for this area and my particular situation I'm convinced that a TTTF is a good choice. I'd like to add some (10-15%) KBG just for its ability to spread and thicken up the turf. There is a VA and MD Turfgrass variety work group that publishes a recommended list every year of seeds. Some are very high on the NTEP lists and some aren't, but my assumption is that the listed seeds have done well at both University of Maryland and Virginia Tech turf trials and would be satisfactory for my lawn. Here are my questions and I'd appreciate any feedback:

- How important is the elite variety(ies) of KBG cultivar?

- Will an organic approach improve the results of lesser rated cultivars such that finding and paying for the elite cultivars isn't really necessary? Or, does the old adage you get what you pay for apply here as well? For instance, Lesco uses Shamrock KBG in their mixes, but that isn't on the recommended list. I can locally find KBG cultivars that are on the list and just mix with the TTTF.

- Would the NTEP ratings be significantly different under a real world organic approach?

- Do mixes of TTTF/TTPR/KBG perform as well or better than single variety meaning the diversity of variety types is a healthier more productive lawn?

- What I think I've learned from this forum is that the process (mulch, water, feed the soil) is more important. Common sense tells me that the better quality of seed I start with the better off my lawn will be. Does this seem reasonable?

Comments (12)

Sponsored