SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
d_bone

Seed selection for southern WI

d_bone
12 years ago

I am looking for help selecting grass seed for my yard. We are in the process of building a new house and will be moving in towards the end of June. It is a 1.3 acre lot in Waukesha Co (just immediately west of Milwaukee Co) in Wisconsin. The builder will be doing the final rough grading, but I will have to bring in someone else to bring top soil and do the final finish grading. There isn't a lot of money left in the budget, so I am planning on doing as much of the work myself as I can. Depending on cost, I may have them lay the seed down for me when they do the final finish grading. A few of my friends who have built houses have said that should be a very small cost to add that service. I do not have any quotes, so I cannot verify that, there is a chance I will be spreading the seed myself if it is not cost effective to have them do it.

I am looking for the best looking lawn possible - with somewhat minimal work. I will not be putting in an irrigation system due to costs, so I will be watering manually with sprinklers when needed. I researched years ago and realize the amount of water required for the lawn is about an inch a week, preferably all at once. I will also be keeping the lawn relatively long, between 2.5 and 3", depending on my lawn mowers available settings. Since I will be manually watering the lawn with sprinklers (unless any one has any other low cost alternatives! :-) My main focus will be on the front yard, and the backyard near the house. With 1.3 acres (that is big for me, coming from about a quarter of an acre at our existing house!), I do not anticipate having the time or dedication to water the entire backyard adequately, and will accept the outer areas going dormant in times of drought/high heat here.

I prefer using Milorganite fertilizer, as it is "close enough" to "organic"/natural for me and is very readily available. I will have to research more on how to keep the weeds down - my current yard is small enough to just pull them, which will definitely not be the case in the new yard. Due to kids/dogs I prefer not to use a weed killer application, but may have to occasionally. Once the lawn is established, I am hoping a thick, healthy lawn will be adequate defense against the weeds for the most part.

I am looking for a great looking lawn that will hold up to some abuse with kids and pets running around. Initially, the yard will be full sun as there are no established trees. I will be planting some, but it will take years for them to establish, and even when established, there will be a LOT of unshaded areas.

Thank you for any help and suggestions that you have!!!

-Derron

Comments (29)