SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sudzy_gw

About rabbit feed...and my lawn. HELP

sudzy
15 years ago

Well, I finally made it to a feed store to purchase grains for my lawn. Was I intimated.

The man asked what kind of Rabbit Feed I wanted? yikes. I stupidly said the least expensive. When I got home and read the label, it doesn't say anything about alfalfa. It reads that there is 17% protein (min.) from processed Grain Products, and BAD news, I guess, it has min. 1.0% max 1.50% Salt. Did I purchase the wrong thing? I paid. 12.50 for 50# bag. (geesh, the next higher was just 13.25)

I also purchased cracked corn for #6.50 for #50. I have apx 5000 sq feet, and half is being over- seeded.( I've scalped the lawn/weeds down to 3/4 in. No money for areation) My lawn needs nitrogen badly, (no, I have not done a soil test) I can tell by looking at it. Plus, it's had nothing for a couple of years.

One other question, should I add another application towards the end of Nov? dealing with IL clay here.

The only other meals they had were cottonseed for $13.50 and Soy meal for 18.??. Please advice, very new to organics on the lawn. My biggest concern, is....I can't increase the soilfoodweb by composting....so I'm wondering...how do I know there's enough little critters in my lawn to eat this stuff? Sigh. Please advise.

Thanks so much

Comments (8)

Sponsored