SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fallofrain

Second try - Containers - Organic Foliar Feeding? And/Or Worm

fallofrain
13 years ago

Sorry - last one didn't work.

This is my second year of attempting an organic garden in containers on my deck. I live in a city and the only ground I have is a 2 x 2 plot in front of my house which is predominately taken up by a street tree, so container gardening is really my only option.

I've been trying to garden organically, but after reading Al's posts I understand that may be causing some of the problems I've been running into. Although my fertilizer regimen seems too work well for some of the plants in my garden (specifically my Japanese eggplant and my mini-bells) they arenÂt working well for others (my bells/poblanos) Â Since itÂs the same fertilizer regimen and the same soil IÂm really sure whatÂs going on.

After reading the various posts  I understand that organic fertilizer is not as readily and consistently available in containers given the lack of micro-organisms and the boom/bust of those populations that do develop. I understand that the micro-organisms are needed to break down the organic fertilizers.

But, not yet ready to give up on organic fertilizers, I wanted to ask (1) what about organic foliar feeding; and (2) what about vermicomposting?

Does foliar feeding still require micro-organisms to break down before it was absorbed?

Also  what about vermicompost? IÂve been thinking about getting one of those wormbins  is the vermicompost in a form that the plants can readily absorb.

Thanks very much in advance!

Comments (6)