SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Delayed Drought Damage on Trees and Shrubs

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

We've had a limb drop problem for a couple of months now. I am sure it is related more to damage from last year's prolonged, exceptional drought. It seems to be escalating.

Sometimes, when trees are drought-stressed and their vascular systems cannot support the entire plant, an entire limb will just suddenly fall off the tree. I'm talking about limbs that look healthy and have nice, green foliage. This is normal behavior and it is believed the tree sheds a branch or branches in order to ensure survival of the rest of the tree. So, am I surprised that some trees in our woodland are dropping limbs now? Not really, but you should see the size of the trees and the size of the limbs they're dropping! Many are oak trees that range from 40' to 80' in height. The limbs they are dropping are larger than the oldest oak tree in our yard, which is a post oak that's about 30 years old. It is crazy. In some cases, the limbs they are dropping represent maybe 20-30% of a given tree's total crown.

We also have some trees and shrubs that leafed out normally in the yard, where they were well-watered last summer, and which now are dying. Sometimes the whole thing is dying, and other times one side of the shrub or tree is dying.

I just thought I'd mention this because if we are seeing it here, I expect others of you may see it as well. Such drought damage is normal, especially in 'wild' areas where no irrigation can be provided. I am kind of shocked at how large some of the trees are that are dropping limbs now.

We normally stay out of the snakey woods in the warm season when snakes are active, and that's a good thing, because these big limbs are large enough to kill someone if they were to fall onto them. Heck, most of these limbs probably could crush an elephant.

I should add that I am seeing this occurring in other folks yards too. For most of us, it seems to be the worst with native oaks.

This is the first time we've seen this sort of delayed drought stress on such a large scale here. We did see it on a much smaller scale in 2004 after the drought of 2003.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional