SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davek913

Goldenrain Tree damage

15 years ago

I planted this sapling last fall and it had come back nice and was putting out new growth near the top. About two weeks or so our granddaughter opened our gate one day and I didn't notice it. Well, evidently some little vandals came back there and stripped every bit of new growth off of it, including a couple that were going to be branches. The new growth was from near the top to about 8 inches down. The tree itself is a little over 4' tall, about 3/4" six" up from the ground.

I noticed a couple of days ago that some more new growth is reappearing below the damaged area. There are some other hard/woody buds in the damaged area that haven't shown any signs of emerging but I'm hopeful.

Should I just leave it be and see how it turns out, and if no new growth emerges from the damaged area, should I still leave it be? I guess basically what I'm just wondering is if it didn't develop new growth near the top how it would affect its development.

The red circles in the picture indicate where the sprouts were pulled off, the green indicate new growth. There's more beneath the bottom edge of the picture as well. You can also see some of the other places where it has what appear to be buds but haven't emerged as of yet.

{{gwi:373488}}

This tree was to replace the one we have that's been declining the last couple of years. It has sentimental value because my stepdaughter planted it when she was little around 25 years ago and my wife always loved it. They're not the easiest trees to find in our area. I've only seen two other in this entire town and I've only seen three in the last couple of years between several nurseries in our area and the big box stores. This particular one came form Lowes.

I have some smaller saplings around our yard from the original, but they always seem to prosper in places where it's difficult to transplant them from, such as the base of a shrub, by our stoop in front, next to the base of our arbor and so on. I tried propagating one myself but didn't have much luck, even following directions I found on how to do it. I guess it's not my forte'.

Comments (7)