SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wulfletons

What will the veggies do with all this cloud cover?

wulfletons
10 years ago

First, I hope everyone survived tonight's storms without any damage.

I have never gardened during a spell of cloudy weather as long as this spell will end up being. I am curious to know if you all do anything special for your plants when it is this cloudy. Would you consider a touch a blossom boost on the tomatoes to help perk them up? Or do you just let them ride it out?

The plants that I really want to do well are the tomatoes, peppers (Serrano, habanero, and sheshido), and okra (I have never grown okra before, period). With the clouds, I would say that things aren't growing as vigorously as they were when it was sunny and the production of new blossoms has slowed down, although I am getting good fruit set on the tomatoes and okay fruit set on the peppers. My peppers really aren't looking as vigorous as I would like, period, but I don't think I can blame all of that on the lack of sunny days. 3/4 of the crop is in well amended, well drained soil(my raised beds) and 1/4 of the crop is in amended clay that I am pretty sure wouldn't be well drained if I added all leaf mulch in the world. Peppers just got fed with veggie tone, and tomatoes just got some tomato tone. We didn't do a soil test ( I know that we should have and we will do one before the fall garden, I promise), so anything I do will be a guess and not very scientifically guided.

Comments (11)