SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
estreya_gw

What are you all doing to protect your veggie gardens from deer?

estreya
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I started my first veggie garden this year, and although i've made (and will continue to make) many mistakes, it's already been an adventure that has nourished me body and soul.

Often, while i've been weeding or harvesting, or simply gazing adoringly at the veggie garden through my upstairs window, i've thought, "Boy, am i lucky the deer haven't discovered this garden!" Tonight, they discovered it.

What have you all been dong to protect your veggie gardens from deer? I'm looking for any and all advise, particularly solutions that are inexpensive since i've already spent all i'd budgeted on these beds.

Here are the beds as of a few days ago - many things in the wrong location, lack of proper support, WAY overcrowding of the rows (who knew so many seeds would germinate), and so forth. But for all it's faults, this garden was special because it's my first.

{{gwi:81724}}

~ sigh ~

help? please?

By the way, after i chased the deer away (snapping my dishtowl at them and shrieking like a banshee), hubby and i harvested all the peas that were left. My plan is to rip out the vines tomorrow, along with the damaged lettuce (which was overcrowded and not too appealing at this point anyway), and the various other molested bits. This will leave me with several empty rows, which i thought i'd try seeding for a second harvest. The nipped tomato plants i just thought i'd clean up and see if they continue to grow. Does that sound like a good way to proceed?

Although i know it's discouraged, i'm going to cross post this to get as many suggestions as possible.

Thank you everyone!

a determined novice

Comments (16)