SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trsinc

What do you do with all of your garden waste?

trsinc
15 years ago

By waste, I mean the dead branches from deciduous plants, the clippings from shrubs, etc.

We literally have truckloads of it every year (and I have a small garden!!) Our little town used to have a brush burning twice a year. We'd haul it all down to one of the local parks and unload it, they'd have a huge bonfire, done. But, with the drought we haven't had that in a couple of years now. Because of that, I have a small pile of brush and a lot of bushes that need to be trimmed.

We're considering getting a wood chipper. Either buying or renting one. The question is what to do with all the chips. I'm slowly but surely making a patterned vegetable garden with raised beds. I was thinking maybe the chips could be used to mulch the pathways. I'm afraid of attracting termites, though.

Is this a bad idea? What do you do with all your branches and things that you prune off?

I hate to send them to the landfill. I've considered getting a barrel and burning them, but I worry about starting a fire somewhere else. You know... how little embers go up in the smoke and land elsewhere. Plus, it's illegal but noone would know. It's not illegal to barbecue. I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Comments (21)