SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stbonner_gw

Cinch bugs in St. Augustine lawn

stbonner
15 years ago

Help! I have a 7 year old St. Augustine lawn that I have had lots of trouble with. In years past we have had damage from both cinch bugs and fungus, and have lost lots of turf to each of them. Last year we had a lawn service spray the yard, and while we didn't have fungus or bugs I didn't feel good about using all of those chemicals on my yard. This year I am trying to make the change to organic lawn care. In February I top dressed the yard and flower beds with compost. In late February I put out CGM. I'm cutting the yard at 4", and watering only once weekly thus far, although I will probably have to water more often soon, as temps are now in the 90's.

I have an area of yard that is out by the road that is the sunniest, hottest part of my yard. I've had chinch bugs out there before and now I've got them again. This part of the yard has some thatch build-up, not bad but more than the rest of the yard. Does anyone have any advice on how I can treat the cinch bugs organically? I really don't want to use pesticides but am also don't want to have to replace sod again, as it is prohibitively expensive. I understand that my thatch is probably contributing to the problem, so any ideas on getting rid of that will be welcome too. I live in Coastal South Carolina, and my yard is very sandy with good drainage. I never get standing water. Sorry so long and thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored