SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

Organic care for new sod

oberci
10 years ago

Sorry this is long, just want to get it right!

We've had sod (90/10 mix) down for about 3 weeks.

MOWING: It is doing relatively well and we will mulch mow it on a high setting tomorrow. Should we mow at the highest setting on our lawnmower or about how high in inches?

WATERING: We were watering 2x a day at first and a couple days ago backed off to 1x a day for 18 min in the early morning. Grass is still doing well so I assume this is okay. Since it is still developing roots, should we wait for the ground to completely dry out before we water again? I understand the importance of water deeply and infrequently, but how do we get to that watering schedule in Sacramento where summer temps can go past 100? How do we do it now for the new sod? and how do we do it in summers to come once the grass is established?

FERTILIZING: I'm trying to wrap my head around the organic fertilizing suggestions given, but I'm a bit confused. I have access to Alfalfa pellets, Soybean Meal, Corn Meal and CGM, but which do I use...how much and how often? So far my understanding is that Corn Meal is better for new sod to help prevent fungal diseases and should be applied at 20#/1000 sg ft, monthly. IS this a good plan?
I'm open to all suggestions!

DRY SPOTS: Overall, the grass is great, but some of the seams between the sod did not do well in the beginning and left some dry spots. How do I deal with this before weeds move in?

WEEDING: Is there any organic way to prevent weeds like crabgrass, bermuda grass, and nutsedge from moving in?

THANKS to EVERYONE in advance!!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored