SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Anyone see a sale on birdfeeders or seed?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hello...

I have a feeder I have to replace which is a very large three tube one, I would like to try to find a good sale. I suppose right now is the worst time to find one. I don't seem to have figured out WHEN birdfeeders go on sale. Anyone else notice? Same for birdseed.

Thanks,

Adam

Comments (47)

• WendyB 5A/MA
    18 years ago

I used to see some "early bird" sales in September (no pun intended I'm sure), but I doubt you'll find anything this time of year.

And the birds are eating like crazy. I'm almost through with my 2nd 50lb bag. Sometimes you can find a decent one in Home Depot or Walmart. I think I've seen the triple-tube feeder at HD in the past. I just bought this one at a feed and grain store today.

just found it on sale online here:

squirrel be gone II

and I like the green and copper better than the red and grey I picked up. darn....and I didn't get it on sale. Altho I was in NH so at least I didn't have to pay sales tax :-)

• martieinct
    18 years ago

We find our feeders here and there and don't think I've *ever* seen them on sale. Curious ....

For seed we go to Ocean State Job Lot. If there's one in your area you can get 20# of a standard mix for $5. We add extra sunflower and go through 40# a week for a total cost of about $12.

Martie

• Related Discussions

Obelisk birdfeeder

Q

Comments (18)
    When you move it to back to the garden it might be a good idea to remove the feeder...They'll see it expect it to have feed in it...and spy your garden... I bought a roll of indoor/outdoor grass carpet. I'm going to put it on the ground in about a 5 foot square with landscape timbers around it. stick a potted plant in each corner and set up my birdfeeder in the center. With the hope of NOT growing a weed garden. I'm still fight weeds where the feeder used to sit. I love your Obelisk... I'd like to build one and grow yellow and orange trumpet vine on it. I bought one of those small wind mills once..the wind tore the blades all apart...so I took the stand part of it and put a wooden ball (like for a porch railing corner) paint the whole thing green and planted a climber on it...That worked good..only now it needs painting again and it is covered with vine. patti
    ...See More

Should I hang birdfeeder on arbor above new roses

Q

Comments (11)
    I, too, read about the black sunflower seed's shells being allelopathic and inhibiting the growth and health of plants surrounded by them. After years of considering the shells to be good mulch, I got out there and raked most of them out and moved the feeders. I was amazed to see the difference in that bed in the next season - better growth, bloom and general green-ness on the mock-orange shrub, the hostas and the spring perennials. I'd tend to side with not hanging a bird feeder over a planted bed full of things I love (not a feeder filled with black sunflower seed anyway!)
    ...See More

99 cent Seed Sale at Gourmet Seed.com

Q

Comments (18)
    OMG - I can't seem to stop buying seeds. Here is what I got... Qty Item Price 1 J0569 - Lychnis $0.99 1 F1025 - Petunia Primetime Burgundy F1 $0.99 1 J0098 - Sweet Pea Cupani $0.99 2 F1766 - Salpiglossis Kew Blue $1.98 1 F1447 - Patio & Planters Collection $0.99 1 F1433 - Aster Truffants Paeony $0.99 1 F1805 - Cosmos Candy Stripe $0.99 1 F0453 - Cosmos Daydream $0.99 1 F0567 - Hibiscus Trionum Luyona $0.99 2 F0491 - Impatiens Mr Fs Selection Mixed $1.98 1 F2942 - Mimulus Red Dragon $0.99 3 F1229 - Nasturtium Empress of India $2.97 3 F1111 - Nasturtium Salmon Baby $2.97 1 F0656 - Poppy Princess Victoria Louise $0.99 I tried the Salpiglossis for the first time this year and even though I only got a few blooms, they were lovely. One of my goal for next year is adding more deep purple blues to the garden so I had to try these! Been wanting to try a fairly short cutting aster, so those jumped in my cart. Nasties.... can't have enough of these, and even though I plant hundreds each year, can't seem to harvest even one seed, so I have to keep buying them. Hibiscus for containers? Had to try it. I've got the tall huge kind in the landscape and they grow really well here. Nancy
    ...See More

Sparrow Discord 'round Th' Birdfeeder

Q

Comments (14)
    jillmcm: ...We have a very nice woods bordering the east side of our yard that we cleared to ground level, about 15 or so feet back, 8 years ago (accept for the trees and larger saplings and burdock ~ which I enjoy and respect too much to cut back). We leveled the area because the previous owners had used it as a dumping site for waste construction material, & it became a haven for poison ivy and the like. In fighting that nasty plant back off the ground and trees, we all went through a bad time with poison ivy. Worth it. There is now a flourishing old giant umbrella shaped maple [my favorite] & a beautiful holly tree in the back yard, that we transplanted in a prominent place after digging it out of nearly being smothered by poison ivy, as a reminder of that painful/itchy season of endeavor. We, then, just let nature reseed itself in any indigenous way it would, ...while tossing a seed or two in from time to time. Now itÂs thick, beautiful & willful of more space, ...& we are prepared to enhance it with fruiting vines and such...once we get a good list of the MOST effective plants. IÂm thinking wineberry, blackberry, blueberry, sunflowers, buckwheat, Jack-in-the-pulpit, bluebells, goldenrod & some kind of aster ...for starters. There are some cleome, lavender, alyssum, echinacea, coneflower and morning glories there already; I seeded them, ...but probably NONE are indigenous [chuckle] plants. ~You said, "Also, adding a water feature, even something as simple as a glazed saucer with water dripping into it from a suspended milk jug with a pinhole (what I have three of), will bring even more birds in."~ Our water feature is a large concrete bird bath with hanging plants suspended above & to the side; their long branches dangling into the water along the sides of the basin. Sufficient?...or should I install some sort of moving-water device? ~You said, "The only time we've had a mocker in our yard was during a hot spell when they came to drink and bathe."~ Not sure why that notion has gone over my head, ...unless you are speaking of the Northern mockingbird Mimus polyglottos...or the likes of the Blue Mockingbird spoken of in the following poem: http://www.lukecole.com/Birds/Smew.htm Sorry for the wordiness of this post, ...but you have inspired my imagination.
    ...See More
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I bought a feeder just like the one in the link Wendy posted at Ocean State Job Lots about two years ago for about $25. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't.

• dawiff
    18 years ago

Adam,

I don't know if you're up for buying a birdfeeder or bird seed online, but I've bought birdfeeders from Duncraft in the past. Here's a link to their closeouts page.

Alison

Here is a link that might be useful: Duncraft Closeouts

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wendy...yes, I realize I should have bought one in the summer. I did see that triple tube feeder on the HD website. That is the one I am replacing. I love that it holds a lot and I don't have to fill it too often. It holds over 12 pounds. They list it for $40. That doesn't seem too bad to me. Thanks for the link. Yes, the birds here have been stuffing themselves half the day. They must know winter is coming.

Martie, that is a good price on birdseed...we don't have an Ocean State around here, I don't think. I don't use a mix mainly because it attracts the squirrels. They have made a pain of themselves in our yard, so I try to minimize feeding them. I use black sunflower in a squirrel proof feeder and in the other tube feeder, I use safflower and thistle. They show no interest in those two seed.

Thanks SayPoint...no OSJLots here..sounds like a nice store.

Alison...Thanks for that link..I looked it over, they have a nice selection thanks.. :-)

Thank you all. If anyone sees a sale on feeders or seed, please think of me. I am going to buy one for now without a sale, but I will be in the market for another and for seed over the winter, which I forgot to stock up on in the summer.

Adam

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

I'm trying to remember which catalog had a couple of Duncraft feeders on sale. Possibly Gardener's Supply, but I honestly don't remember.

Many places around here have sales on birdfeeders and seed in the spring.

• hostasz6a
    18 years ago

There was just a sale on seed at Wild Birds Unlimited. I usually buy my seed at Home Depot. I have four blue jays that have been hoarding all the seed lately. Is it going to be a rough winter? All the birds are really stashing the seed away!

• nassongrad_nh
    18 years ago

The Duncraft Outlet store in Concord (NH) has fairly frequent sales on seed and suet (less frequent on feeders) and runs coupons in the Concord Monitor. If you are anywhere close, it might be worth the trip to stock up on seed (I can give you a yell). Their service and quality are excellent and they really know what they are talking about. Tax-free and no shipping make it even more of a good deal! We're not supposed to put feeders out until after 12/1 (bears) so it's still pre-season here.

• sedum37
    18 years ago

Agways seems to be running good sales now. There is one in Chelmsford.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Sue, good timing..just in time for the weekend. I knew there was an agway in chelmsford, but I haven't been there yet. Guess it is a good time to go.

[g]

• terryboc
    18 years ago

Anyone know where the Duncraft store in Concord is? Most birds don't stash seeds-they eat them, unlike the @%&8 chipmunks who stash enough to feed China. Birds have a very fast metabolism, so they need more food to keep warm as the temps drop. Also, there is less natural food available as winter approaches. The chickadees are back from where ever they go for the summer and they eat ALOT! I have a cool feeder system from Wildbirds right outside my kitchen window and it is so cool to look out and see who is eating. I don't normally feed birds in the summer due the chipmunk problem, but this system keeps the chipmunks and squirrels off the feeders. I put food out all year and was rewarded by visits from Baltimore orioles and Indigo buntings this summer. I have never seen either of these birds, so this was a thrill. I was surprised to discover that the goldfinches would rather eat black sunflower rather than niger when both were offered.

• ginny12
    18 years ago

The place I like best is Bruckmann's in Lawrence MA. It is a family-owned place that has everything a birdlover or gardener could want. Plus good prices and very helpful, informed employees. They have everything the big-box stores have at the same price but much, much more. Plus a lot of the fancy bird and garden stuff you see in catalogs. It is so nice to go somewhere where they can actually answer your questions. Worth the trip.

• BetsyBr
    18 years ago

On Cape Cod we found bird feeders for $4 each. About 8' tall with brasslike cover/decorations, flip/lock lid.
    The Christmastree Shops. I understand they are in Conn. too.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Ginny, Thanks for that tip. I visited the AGway locally and it was a dissappointment to me. So I may just head out there when I get the chance. Sounds great!

Betsy we have those here too...I will have to check them out..great price for an extra little feeder.

:-)
    Adam

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    18 years ago

Terryboc -

The Duncraft store in Concord is on Fisherville Rd (Rte. 3) almost across from the McDs (just a little south) or just south of the Szechwan Gardens restaurant. If you get off exit 17 from I-93 and turn left at the first opportunity once you're over the Merrimack River (flashing yellow light, I think) and then turn left at the next stop sign, you're on Fisherville Rd. It's probably about 5 miles to the Duncraft store from the interstate, on the left side of the road. Or you can get off at I-93 at exit 15 onto I-393 going west. It deadends into Main St (rt 3) in about 1/8 mile. Turn right at those lights onto rt 3 and it's about 3 miles down on the right side in a small dark (brick and brown steel?) building.
    The phone book lists it as 102 Fisherville Rd. It's where I've gotten all my bird feeders.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks NHBabs..

I think I vaguely remember having been to that store. It has a cute name, I think, but I forget. Great selection, high prices. Maybe they have sales sometimes, I will have to check, because it is a great store and closer to me than Lawrence.

I was in another nursery yesterday that had a new feeder that is just a clear plastic tube with perches on the bottom that are spring loaded. If you touch them they just bend down. It is to keep the squirrels out. I don't think it was big enough to hold a half a gallon of seed. They wanted $100. for it. I was in disbelief!

I have one small squirrel proof feeder that cost me $16. at a hardware store in the spring. There are spring loaded perches, of a different design than the $100. one. and I admit, I won't get this kind any more, because once the springs stop working, it is just a regular feeder. But funny, the squirrels haven't realized that it doesn't work any more. lol They stopped trying to get in it and that is that.

Thanks for the tips on bird supply stores. I am going to be checking them all out.

Adam

• nassongrad_nh
    18 years ago

The Duncraft web site lists many feeders on sale (some 50% off closeouts) and they may have the same deals at the store. It might be worth a call to check (1-888-879-5095) if you see one of interest. They claim to have everything in the store that is on the web site (makes sense since they ship the catalog and web orders from there). (www.duncraft.com)

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks nassongrad :-)

I just checked out their site again and they have a stainless steel feeder that is now 1/2 price, which I think I am going to get. Thanks for letting me know. Geezz you have to worry about bears! I thought the squirrels were bad!

[g]

Adam

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    18 years ago

Yup, around here if you put out feeders before the bears go into hibernation, you either need to bring them in at night or risk losing them along with whatever held them up. The bears tend to just grab the whole feeder, and there's no such thing as a bear-proof bird feeder! We live next to a corn field and many years see bears from the house.

• nassongrad_nh
    18 years ago

LOL! At least they don't eat the hosta!

• terryboc
    18 years ago

That's because there is so much tasty seed around :) I'm lucky not to have seen any bears here, and I have a lot of woods that start in my back yard.

Thanks for the Duncraft directions. I'll have to take a ride up there. I get their catalog and have liked a lot of stuff in there but never seem to get around to ordering. I need a sunflower feeder that holds about 50 pounds to keep the little beggars fed. I even have bluejays that eat out of the tube feeder. Its quite amusing watching them try to figure out how the little guys do it. They usually just go for the house style feeder.

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

Hi Terryboc,
    (We met at Annie's Plant Swap in the Spring, missed you at the Fall one), the Blue Seal Store in Milford is having a seed sale, that is a heck of a lot closer to you than the Duncraft Store and right now they are offering a lot more bird "stuff" (houses, suets, feeders and etc) than the Duncraft Store in Concord.

I went to the Duncraft Store based on this thread and their website. I am sorry to say but I was really disappointed. They had a few things on sale, the sale has probably been going on for awhile, so they really didn't have much. I found a lot of stuff on their website and wanted to get at the store (unfortunately I am not a patient person, I need to have everything now, I hate waiting for a FedEx or UPS truck to show up, kind of like the nasty girl in the original Willie Wonka movie, Veruca Salt, I WANT IT NOW!) and there wasn't much at the store.

The Nashua Farmers Exchange had a Blue Seal Seed Truck Load Sale last weekend, Thursday at 3 pm until Sunday when they closed or when the truck was empty. We went on Saturday and 1/2 of the seed was sold out, I bought the Songbird and Concerto Blends there (they have different mixes) but awesome prices on all of it and they had what I was looking for at the Farmers Exchange (the Woodpecker and Cardinal Mixes and of course a 50 lb bag of Black Oil Sunflower). We went to the Milford Blue Seal and they are having a sale also, it wasn't as great as the sale in Nashua but a few of the bags had coupons on them for Suet Cakes for something like 28 cents each.

So if you are looking for seed, go to Blue Seal in Milford. It is a heck of a lot closer to you than Concord, Annies' Farm is closer to us than the Duncraft Store, I am sure you remember that ride ;). If you are looking for seed, that is the place to go. I have a Wild Birds right down the street from me but the way my little friends eat, I can't afford the store anymore. LOL.

• terryboc
    18 years ago

Yes, my birds eat too much for me to afford Wildbirds Unlimited for seed! I never seem to think of Nashua Farmer's exchange. I haven't been there in years. I used to go to Dodge's Agway in Salem when I raised parrots for seed. They used to have good deals there as well.

Peony-I missed you guys as well! I was in California visiting my family, so I guess it was a good tradeoff. I'm working on stuff for the swap next spring. I have a bunch of red canna tubers from the plant I divided a few weekends ago. Since I missed the fall swap, I should have plenty of plants to divide this spring.
    The link below is the reason I put out birdseed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lovely Thanksgiving visitor

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi,

I bought a birdfeeder at Home Depot. There is a link at the bottom of the page. It was $40. It is a triple tube feeder and holds 10 pounds of seed and came with it's own pole.

When we got it home, it was the simplest thing to set up. The pole was in 4 pieces in the box and fit together snuggly, a few taps with a large hammer type tool, forget the name..lol..and it was in the ground. The feeder just slides right over the pole. The top unscrews, you fill it with built in funnels and screw the top back on and we were in business. I put two tubes of safflower and one of thistle and the squirrels ignore that feeder and the finches and chicadees, cardinals all love it.

I bought a bag of safflower seed at Lexington Gardens "not" on sale..I was tired and wanted to just be done with it..and it was $18. for a 25 pound bag. They will be having a sale of 15% off most of the store on Tuesdays starting the 29th of Nov, I think through December.

I will be needing to buy black oil sunflower seed soon, so I am still looking for a good sale. I can't travel further than 30 minutes from Lexington.

Thanks for all the input..

Adam
    in Massachusetts

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird Feeder at Home Depot

• maineman
    18 years ago

Adam,

I would think that with all this talk about an Avian Flu pandemic that bird feeders would soon become a drug on the market.

MM

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maine Man,

Thanks for bringing up that subject. It is a real concern and we all need to be thinking about it. I found some information put out by Mass Audubon and I attach it here.

Adam

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass Audubon Society..To feed or not to feed?

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Since we're on the topic, does anyone make their own suet? I'm new to birding and have had to make food and supplies an additional household budget item :-)

Martie

• maineman
    18 years ago

Adam,

Thanks for the Audubon link. That information, that at the present time it is still safe to continue feeding birds, agrees with a recent article in our local paper, the Kennebec Journal.

However, since we are living with my daughter, son-in-law, and 2-year old grandaughter, when my daughter brought up her concern about the subject recently, I immediately agreed to discontinue my bird feeding operation. All my feeders and their mounting poles and "shepherds hooks" are now gone and my remaining birdseed will go into the compost pile.

I had quite a "clientele" of various birds and I am sure my feeders would have been very popular in this recent snow. But people come first and it became clear to me that this would be a source of on-going worry in this household as long as my feeders had the back yard full of birds and we continued to hear stories about the Avian Flu infecting and killing people.

So, for the peace of mind of everyone in this household, my feeders are gone, leaving a very blank spot in our backyard. It's amazing how fast the birds disappeared.

Hopefully the Avian Flu pandemic will not come to pass and this will go the way of the SARS scare, and we can enjoy feeding the birds again. But it doesn't look like we will be hearing that "all clear" anytime soon.

MM

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

Hi there Adam! This one is just for you. I went to the Blue Seal Feed Store in Milford, NH and on their sign was "Black Oil Sunflower Seed, 50 LB Bag -- $12.99. I just bought this bag last week for $15.79.

Hi again Terryboc! Are you sure you didn't take that picture in my backyard on Thanksgiving? We have the same exact house and pole system (Wild Birds pole with all the bells and whistles). Just kidding, that is a great shot, your little feathered friend is so bright, must be all the great food you are giving him. Annie's in the spring, she requested that if anyone had any recycled/leftover/unused pots she would gladly take donation. Since then I have been acquiring with the goal of filling the vehicle with them just because she is so wonderful. You have to be there in the spring.

As far as the Avian Flu, yes, it is something to think about but to take a line from the MA Audubon Page "The presence of the H5N1 strain has not been confirmed in North America. Therefore, at this time there is no reason to stop feeding birds, but we will continue to evaluate the situation. We suggest that people continue to keep their feeders clean and refrain from putting bird food on the ground where feces and food often come in contact." So, is that a reason to starve all the wild birds now? Mad Cow Disease, should we slaughter every single cow today here in the United States because we MIGHT we get Mad Cow Disease? Since you are worried about Avian Flu, are you going to stop eating Chicken Eggs? The Avian Flu is primarily found in domesticated birds, chickens, geese, and ducks not the Black Capped Chickadee, Nuthatch, Cardinal or Blue Jay. The US Government is keeping a extremely watchful eye on the situation in Asia just like they have with the SARS situation, I am sure that we don't have to set off the panic buttons right now and cause starvation in the birds that you have been feeding and now you are taking away their source. Don't punish your birds because the sky might fall.

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    18 years ago

Rather than Avian Flu, I'm more concerned about insect pests that we know will be around here in New England. Winter moths should be emerging soon to mate and lay eggs. They devastated many trees in Eastern Massachusetts this past year.

One of the reasons I will continue to feed birds is to keep them around when nasty pests emerge. One day last year I saw a huge amount of moths, and the next day nothing. The oaks and maples here were fine.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I like to think the birds came for the seed and stayed for the insect dessert.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter Moth Fact Sheet

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

One note on BAD bird feeders;

I had a very expensive squirrel-proof feeder that killed many small birds one spring. I've put a link to a similar design below, because I couldn't find the exact one. I am pretty sure the one shown on the link would also kill birds.

The problem with this kind of feeder is that a small bird on one side doesn't see a large bird or squirrel approaching the other side. When something large lands on the feeder, all the ports close, and if there is a small bird with his head in one of the ports, he's a goner.

I found many small birds on my lawn before I took this feeder down, and none after. I could not get the mfgr to understand why it was lethal. Please be on the lookout for this flaw when you're shopping. It's awful!

Here is a link that might be useful: bad birdfeeder

• maineman
    18 years ago

Peoniesaremyfave,

"Since you are worried about Avian Flu, are you going to stop eating Chicken Eggs?"

I don't eat raw eggs because of a small risk of salmonella. But cooked eggs are safe, and I will continue to eat them. West Nile Virus has been a concern in our bird population, not because we might catch it from eating eggs or by contact with birds, but because mosquitoes proved to be an effective vector for transmitting viruses back and forth between birds and mammals (including humans). Next summer, when the mosquitoes are back in force, we will need to be more concerned about the presence of Avian Flu as well as West Nile Virus in our wild bird population as well as our migratory bird population, whether we have bird feeders or not.

I don't intend to get into a debate about whether it is safe or not to have a bird feeder, or to try to quantify the risk factors today or in the future. Even before the H5N1 threat, there have been other risk factors from feeding birds, such as psittacosis, cryptococcosis, and histoplasmosis. In the present situation, our household happens to feel better about not having a backyard full of birds. But that is our personal choice. You and others are free to make your own choices.

MM

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi MM...

Everyone's peace of mind is very important. I'm sure it was a sacrifice for you. I hope it will go the way of the SARS scare too and feeding birds won't be an issue in the future too. Each person has their own limit of how much risk they are willing to take and should make their own decisions about feeders.

As far as I have always heard, feeding birds is not even something the Mass Audobon encourages. They always suggest it is better to provide native plants and habitat than feeders. If you haven't started feeding birds for the season than there is no problem for the birds.

Thanks Peoniesaremyfave...that is a great price, isn't it!?

Claire...when do the winter moths come out? I thought it was Thanksgiving last year.

18 years ago

Last year the winter moths started before Thanksgiving, but this fall has been much warmer so they're probably delayed.

The December 2004 Landscape Message says:

REGIONAL NOTES

Cape Cod Region - General conditions: November weather was typical for the time of year: many gray days with drizzle and temperatures in the 40Âs interspersed with sunny days in the 50Âs. Pests/Problems: Reports of winter moth/fall cankerworm flights started coming into the office before Thanksgiving. Towns from Sandwich to Dennis are all reporting very high numbers of moths, perhaps foretelling of defoliation to come in the spring of 2005.

Southeast Region - General conditions: Typical November weather, (sun, rain, snow, fog, drizzle), was the norm for November. Hanson received approximately 5 inches of precipitation. Killing frost came late this season, in many parts of the county, occurring in the early part of November. Korean mums are still providing some seasonal color along with the red berries of Ilex verticillata, Ilex opaca and the meserve hollies. The berries of the invasive plant, oriental bittersweet, can easily be seen now covering the canopies of many deciduous trees. Pests/Problems: Fall cankerworm moths and winter moths began to emerge about ten days before Thanksgiving. Many of those moths emerging early were fall cankerworm moths but beginning in late November - early December, the primary moth emerging was winter moth. The Plymouth County Extension office has received calls from all over the county about these moths. Judging by the incredible number of moths we are seeing, we believe it signals another banner year for winter moth caterpillars for spring 2005.

Unless we're really lucky, they should be starting soon.

Claire

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

The winter moths fly in November and December - apparently it's really weather-dependant. That's the word from the extension service at URI, anyway, it probably varies by location. I was googling WM this morning to see if there was anything new for treatment that should be applied when they start flying; found nothing new, though.

Actually, I just saw a moth outside this evening - it may have been the first winter moth.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Was in Ocean State Job Lot yesterday where one can get 50# of sunflower seeds for $15 and the three tube feeder for $28. They are in Mass -- finally found the website -- and are worth seeking out.

Martie

Here is a link that might be useful: inexpensive bird food/feeder place

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

Adam,

I am sorry, I didn't read the line in your thread that that you were looking for seed within 30 miles of Lexington, I knew that the Milford Blue Seal Store was a lot closer to Terryboc than the Duncraft Store in Concord (based on the Plant Swap in NH that we both attended, I saw that you were debating to go to either on in MA or Annie's in NH, if you can, come to Annie's--even if it is to see her farm, it's something to be jealous of! Next year I am going to as many as possible, you learn so much but Annie's has been my favorite. Everyone is so nice!), well if you are in Lexinton, MA then Milford is a lot closer to you also. There use to be a small feed store on the Turnpike in Burlington but that is gone now and has been for a while. They ripped it down to make a Starbucks, a Vitamin World and a few other stores. If I figure out where the other seed stores near you are I will add to the thread.

MaineMan,

This is definately not the place for a heated debate. I was not suggesting you eat raw eggs, most of the eggs sold commercially here in the US are pasteurized, getting salmonella is almost always caused by consuming raw chicken meat, not eggs. I don't think there has ever been a single case of a person getting the West Nile Virus from eating a chicken egg. If you have always been so concerned about feeding wild birds, why have you ever done it then? I apologize if you think that I was implying that you are eating raw eggs, I definately wasn't. You absolutely have every right to be concerned about your enviroment and it's nice that you are concerned about your family, especially your granddaughter. If mosquitoes are a problem in your area (aren't they in all, nasty little critters) call your Local County Extension to see what is being done to control mosquitoes in your area. I live in NH and last summer instead of spraying they released dragonflies (tons of them)
    and it was a miracle, between the bats and the dragonflies my family could go outside at all hours of the day. The best part was there weren't chemicals sprayed around, it is a lot less expensive for the State and the dragonflies are fun to watch. You are right, we have the danger of WNV right now.

Claire,

Thanks for the info about Winter Moths, I forgot about those yucky things. My Grandmother on the South Shore said she had them last year. I will have to remind her and print out your thread. Thanks again!

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi DtD...

I haven't seen one yet, but I was thinking of trying to get one of those bug zappers,as they are supposed to attract the moths. I had an awful infestation of the caterpillars last year and I am expecting a lot of moths..

Thanks Peoniesaremyfav...I hope I can get to Annie's swap in the spring. Yes, the NH locations on the bird seed aren't convenient for me so I am still looking for Mass sales...

Thanks,
    Adam

• maineman
    18 years ago

Peoniesaremyfave,

"If you have always been so concerned about feeding wild birds, why have you ever done it then?"

I don't have to justify to you why I have fed birds. I've known for quite some time that you could get certain diseases from birds, but the risks were manageable and nothing comparable to an Avian Flu pandemic. I washed my hands before and after tending my bird feeders, and I kept the feeders clean and sanitary. Your question is uncalled for.

"I apologize if you think that I was implying that you are eating raw eggs, I definitely wasn't."

Nobody said or implied that you were. I don't see how you could have logically come to think that I thought you were accusing me of eating raw eggs. You asked that, "Since you are worried about Avian Flu, are you going to stop eating Chicken Eggs?" and I considered that question a bit bizarre, and certainly uncalled for, since we both know that cooked eggs are safe. But apparently you think that my concern for Avian Flu deserves some sort of "punishment", like I should have to give up eating eggs. You should be apologizing for your continuing attempts to put me on the defensive for my concern about Avian Flu. Maybe you should ask yourself why you are doing that.

MM

• terryboc
    18 years ago

MaineMan,
    You are right in that birds (and pretty much all other animals including humans) pose health risks. It is up to the individual as to how much risk they are willing to take on for their own peace of mind and their families. Personally, I fear Lyme disease more that the Avian flu at the moment, since I have a large tick population at my house and had to have one removed from my back by my doctor earlier this year. One of the best tick killers are-you got it-Chickens! I can't win :O.

If Annie needs pots, I have a ton in my greenhouse that I'll donate for the next swap. I'm planning on converting a few into a birdfeeder as soon as I can get DH to thread some rod for me (once he is done "remodeling" the snowblower).

Claire-I've never heard of winter moths before-I see that you are a zone warmer than me-do you happen to know if they are out and about in zone 5?

• honaras
    18 years ago

target had a sale on birdseed recently. 20lb. bag for $4. : )
    sara

• maineman
    18 years ago

Terry,

"Personally, I fear Lyme disease more that the Avian flu at the moment, since I have a large tick population at my house..."

That makes sense, since Lyme disease is relatively prevalent and, as far as we know, nobody in the US has contracted Avian Flue yet.

We're fortunate here on this property to have very few, if any, ticks. I have yet to see one, except for one that we picked up on a fishing trip down near Lewiston.

Since the squirrels were so destructive in our garden, and since my daughter doesn't want our grandaughter to be exposed to squirrels, I have done my best to make this a "rodent-free" zone.

Deer very rarely visit here and we don't have dogs or cats, so we have a very low incidence of warm-blooded animals in our woods. That may be one reason why I have never seen a tick here. Hopefully birds do not carry ticks. And hopefully mosquitoes do not carry Lyme disease. I wonder if there is a vaccination for Lyme disease.

MM

18 years ago

Terry:

I rely pretty much on the UMass Landscape Messages for pest reports, and the next one is due out in a week or two. They come out weekly during the growing season but only monthly in the winter.

Maybe someone in zone 5 can report winter moth sightings. In fact, maybe I'll post separately since people won't necessarily read this thread.

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: UMass Landscape Message

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

Adam,

I am sorry about the MA/NH confusion, as soon as I find a sale in MA I will send you an email. It won't be to this thread, things are being taken out of context here. Seriously if you can, go to Annie's in the Spring. Hopefully we will see you there!

Terryboc,

Thanks you are absolutely right. Ticks are a huge concern here in New England. Yes, Annie is looking for pots. I don't think she ever has to buy anything again, therefore she doesn't have any pots for the swap. I am going to try to get as many as I can for her. She is so nice.

Now to the fun part of this thread:

MaineMan,

CALM DOWN! My goodness are you defensive! I do not owe you an apology nor will not give you one. This thread does not revolve around you, your daughter and your granddaughter. Terry was just saying that ticks and Lyme disease are a concern, you might not have them in your little bubble of a home and a yard but they do exist in Maine. You don't have to have a pet or have seen a deer to get Lyme Disease, they like wooded areas and places like fields, forests and rock walls. Oh, let me stop you before you yell at me again, let me guess, you don't have any of those places. That is fine, someone else may though. That is why we are all here. Not to be chastized by someone who is only worried about their own little world and their own family. Maybe you should ask yourself why are you so self centered and why can't you participate in a normal discussion? I gave you a huge complement stating "it's nice that you are concerned about your family, especially your granddaughter" but what did you do? Did you accept the compliment? No, you just went right back playing with your html tags and twisting words and rip apart everything that anyone says if you don't think that it doesn't apply to you, then it shouldn't matter. Maybe you should think about apologizing to everyone who will be reading this tirade that you and I are involved in. It seems to me that Terry was just trying to calm the situation down, but I see that is probably not possible because you seem to belike a dog with a bone. I am sure we will all be hearing from you again real soon. Can't wait, LOL.

• AdamM321
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Peonies...

I have tried to avoid getting in the middle of this disagreement, but now I feel I have to. While I appreciate the help with the question this thread started out being about, I really don't appreciate how uncomfortable I now feel with the turn the thread has taken.

I don't mind that the bird flu was brought into it, or that different people have different opinions about it. All of that is perfectly fine and appropriate and to be expected. What I mind is the way in which opinions are expressed, putting down the other person's point of view and making personal attacks.

Peoniesaremyfav...you may not want to hear this, but MM was correct to remind me, which is who he was directing his comments about bird feeders to, about the concerns about the Bird Flu. If it wasn't a legitimate concern, Mass Audobon wouldn't have been writing about it on their website. He is not alone in his concern.

When he brought it up, I responded, and didn't take offense, he wrote back and he wasn't offended. Then you jumped into the discussion. If you really want to be fair and honest, you can go back and read the thread over to find out where it started to take a down turn. MM and I both had come to the same conclusion..that it was still ok to feed birds, but we need to keep an eye out for future changes. MM just expressed that even though it was probably ok, he had decided to stop feeding anyway.

That was the point where the discussion should have ended. You continued it. You challenged MM about his decision to stop feeding and then after he attempts to defend his reasons further, you characterize his response as being defensive.

You have expressed judgements about MM as a person that were unwarranted, saying he is only concerned with his own little world. Where did that come from?? If he was only concerned with his own little world, he wouldn't have been trying to help me out by reminding me about the Avian Flu. That is making a personal attack and is crossing the line of simplying disagreeing with a point of view.

Peoniesaremyfav...I certainly don't want you to perceive this as a "chastisement" because it is not. You put others in the position of having to come to someone's defense when you attack them. I hope you will feel free to express your opinions. I am interested in your opinion and MMs opinion and Terry's opinion. But I also hope you can see that your opinions and the opinions of others are better heard, if the personal comments are kept out of it. If they can't be, it is better to just let it go.

Adam

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

Adam,

I agree with you one hundred percent. You are very nice for defending a persons right to express their opinion. Words can be misinterpreted and obviously they have been by all parties involved. You felt that I was attacking MM and I was not. I always thought that email (or online if you want to get technical) highlighted and in bold text was an implication of yelling, therefore it should be avoided at all costs. That is how I interpreted it and that may not have been the case so if I can read something that someone else wrote incorrectly then maybe my words can be taken the same way.

So to all parties involved--Adam is definately right and the much bigger person. He hit the nail on the head, " you can see that your opinions and the opinions of others are better heard, if the personal comments are kept out of it. If they can't be, it is better to just let it go. " Thank you Adam!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

A note about Ocean State Job Lots, I see on their web page flyer that they have the squirrel proof feeder for $20, the same one I bought a couple of years ago.

But...my mother recently bought some bird seed there and the birds don't want to eat it. I think you need to be aware of the possibility of buying poor quality seed if the price is very low. I often buy my mother a big bag of wild bird food for Christmas because she goes through 150 lbs. of seed a year, but I splurge on the best quality.