SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

Laura Buch petunia...from last year's swap!

shankins123
12 years ago

At the swap last year, I got 4 tiny little Laura Bush petunia plants from Dawn. One died pretty soon after planting, but the other 3 hung on through the scorching summer...something got two of them near fall. That left one straggly little plant left. We're talking maybe 6 inches high/long by this point.

Fall and attentive watering helped to grow it, and by about Christmas it was very full and about 1 square foot in size.

Sometime in February (I think) I realized that it had continued to grow through temps of 20 degrees or so (!) Still quite green and actually fuller than before, I also realized that my usual little patch of yellow crocus had been completely covered by it.

Once warmer temps had begun, this crazy plant took off...I kid you not when I say that it is AT LEAST 1 CUBIC FOOT!! Each stem is at least 3 ft. long, legions of them have flopped out into my grass, and the rest of them have grown straight up and into my Midas Touch rose bush! The intertwining yellow and bright pink flowers are something to see.

I wish I had a picture to show you all, but Dawn was not kidding when she said this was an amazing plant. One of the nicest things about it is that it scents the air with "petunia"...not unlike that I remember as a little girl; it's pleasant.

I was hoping that it would seed like crazy and I would have some plants to bring, but I have found nothing...I don't understand that, but wonder if maybe it's smothered its young, lol.

If you get a chance to get one of these, be prepared for its VIGOROUS growth and spread!

Sharon

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH