SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turfqueen_gw

Need organic help! on el toro sod new install

turfqueen
13 years ago

Just installed 1 week ago 36 pallets (16,000 sq ft!) of El Toro zoysia sod in front/back/side yards. The first landscaper (now fired) put in 'top-soil'(it was really very loamy-sand (more sand than anything) ), about 2" to 12" in various locations to even out surfaces and erosion. With all the rain we've started getting, it started to wash out as I'm on a slope of about 20-30 degrees. 2nd landscaper added about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of real topsoil just before sodding. I lightly added pelletized lime just before he did this.

Now everything is really green with all this rain, but I'm getting some washouts near the bottom perimeters of property, which go down into a wetlands creek...Ugh! As soon as it stops raining, like in a day or two, I'm having the 2nd landscaper come back to fix the sliding pieces of sod and hopefully 'fix' the erosion.

Meanwhile, I'm deathly afraid of getting bad nematodes as a neighbor told me someone about 10 years ago put in zoysia and got nematodes and was unable to fix and had to tear everything out. I cannot!!!! afford to ever do this again, so I'm wondering what organic ammendments can I add and at what time?? and how much to add? Also I am deathly afraid of getting fungus' because it's pretty much super-humid here all year, espec. in the summertime.

I have a deep (125') well with (I think) very good water to water whenever needed, like this 1st week immediately after laying it down. But now it's raining cats and dogs, and will for about 3 more days.

Also, when should the first mowing be? I am getting the new-ish fiskars reel mower from Lowes . com that hopefully my son and I will take turns mowing, even though I know 16,000 sq ft is an awful lot to mow, but I don't want to mess things up even more with a heavy riding mower, and want/need the exercise anyway.

But how and what and when should I start organic ammendments?

Thank you!!

Comments (11)

Sponsored