SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enigma7_gw

Best choice of organic fertilizer (pellets/meal) with rabbits?

enigma7
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

After doing a pretty substantial renovation the last couple years on my small yard (I have 2 main questions:

First, we have a LOT of rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc. in our neighborhood. But rabbits seem to be the worst this time of year (I left for work the other day with a large rabbit in the center of my yard and when I came home there was a shoe-sized BARE spot to the dirt where the rabbit was!). Is there a particular grain/meal that rabbits won't eat or something that breaks down quickly after application that makes it more difficult to eat (so most of it gets to the microbes/grass)? Alfalfa seems to get great praise for cost/nutrient level but I know that is a natural rabbit food but am not sure if watering it in breaks it down enough to where my entire lawn won't get besieged by rabbits and eat all the food (then deal with the rabbit pellets which while great for fertilizer I don't want my kids running around in rabbit poo all day).

Second, I can't easily find with a quick google/site search the nitrogen/protein concentrations of the different commonly-available grains. I remember seeing one a while ago and it was great to have when comparing prices on a particular day at the feed store (ie since they are not all equal in nitrogen content you can have a $/lb nitrogen figure for each to determine where the best actual deal is).

Thanks everyone for your help,

justin

Comments (15)

Sponsored