SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
narcnh

Finally Planted Bulbs

narcnh
17 years ago

Well, my order from Brecks arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I finally had time to go out and plant everything. Heres what I planted:

Daffodils

5 White Lion

5 Rosy Cloud

5 Tahiti

10 Rip van Winkle

12 Tete A Tete

12 Giant Jonquils for Naturalizing

Tulips

12 Darwin - Red Dynasty

Hyacinths

25 Mixed Grape Hyacinths

5 Blue Jacket

Alliums

5 Persian Blue

Originally, I planned to plant them in gardens both front and back, but decided to plant all of them in the new garden created in front of the new deck that went in front of the new addition. Some of the daffodils also went along a small stone wall, which I think will look nice in the spring.

I bought a Hound Dog Bulb Planter, the long one you stand on to create the hole and that opens with a squeeze of the handle to release the dirt. It worked great, and I was going to highly recommend it, until I got to the last five bulbs, when the handle snapped off. Unlike the rest of the gardens, the soil in this location is very compacted as a result of all the excavation for the foundation and drainage pipes and the subsequent backfilling and packing by the excavation equipment. I was wiggling the bulb planter back and forth to get it to penetrate and the handle finally snapped. In looking at the design it appears that the handle is only held on by a simple riveted bolt so that squeezing it presses down on a spring in the shaft that opens the business end to release the dirt (which does NOT come out easily with the jaws closed). I think I can run a bolt through the handle and shaft and secure it with a nut and washer, but that remains to be seen. Since I bought the thing at HD well over a month ago, I canÂt return it, and even if I could, I know IÂll never find the receipt. So, if you have one of these tools, be sure not to torque the handle from side to side or you will eventually break it.

Anyway, I got 96 (thatÂs NINETY SIX) bulbs in the ground yesterday. I know thatÂs a drop in the bucket to most of you, but it was a lot to me. Also, there were way more than 25 grape hyacinths, since little bulbs had come off from the parents, and most of the hyacinths had multiple side bulbs. All of the bulbs seemed big and healthy (not that I know anything about bulbs) IÂm just excited that I got to the project before the ground froze. Most of the bulbs are concentrated in one area, and I am looking forward to the show next spring. If it comes off as nice as I hope, then next fall IÂll go hog wild and plant more in the main garden and maybe in a few other places, as well.

I have to thank those of you who, earlier in the season, gave me an education in bulbs, especially tulips. Thanks to yaÂll, I only bought Darwin hybrids, since they are supposed to come back strong every year. And, IÂve planted a range of bulb types to extend the season. Now, if only the squirrels will leave them in the ground, and if only the deer wonÂt eat the buds the day before they openÂÂ

On Saturday I raked the leaves out of about 1,000 ft of drainage ditches on either side of my drive before regrading it one last time (then dropped the York rake and put it to bed, so I can mount the sub-frame and snowblower to the tractor in a couple of weeks along with, ugh, the tire chains), and Sunday planted the bulbs. Today, I am sore, but happy to have actually accomplished some work outside this weekend. It had been too long.

narcnh

Comments (9)