SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyg

Thatch beyond belief

weedyg
15 years ago

I have been a lurker for a few years. I feel Ive learned a great deal, but now it seams I am beyond help. I am in zone 5 south of Kansas city. We had our home built in 2006, the sod was laid in October. I believe the landscaper said the sod was from Minnesota due to local shortages. It was laid in a very wet and muddy condition. We also have an irrigation system with 6 Zones. Early in 2007 I began a Tru-green treatment (6 applications) for an entire year. That year I watered way to much, several times a week, for short durations. The grass was the greenest in our neighborhood!

{{gwi:1102061}}

I know now, that I was far from doing the right thing. I should have watered deep ounce a week. I should not have been doing the Tru-green. As a result my yard is thick and brown. It feels like a crunchy carpet. The Thatch is so thick I have to rip the "yard rug" up to see the soil. I really have not seen it this bad on this site.

{{gwi:1102062}}

Mid spring 2008 I realized what I had done. I began reading this website as well as researching my problem. I went cold turkey on the chemical treatment. I used two applications of soybean meal that year. Things were really never as green. The yard was so thick with thatch I couldnt see any soil. I used a rental aerator and made several passes. The plugs were 70% thatch and 30% soil, not cool. I tried a dethatcher as well. It almost rolled the sod back up. Mind you, it has been two years since the sod was laid, and the roots are weak and no deeper than the thatch. I reseeded the spots where the sod totally came up.

{{gwi:1102063}}

{{gwi:1102064}}

My yard is the last in the neighborhood to green up. I cut the lawn short.I put down a treatment of soybean meal last week. The truth is, I dont know hom much of the grain even penetrated the grass to the soil. Its that bad. Below ive pulled up some of the grass to see the soil.

{{gwi:1102066}}

{{gwi:1102068}}

What should I expect? I am at a loss. I hope the grass comes up. Although it seems it will be choked out like the weeds.

This is all I can think of. I hope I didnt miss anything. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Brandon

Comments (14)

Sponsored