jarvinen_gw

Michigan Lawn Plan

jarvinen
12 years ago

5th year lawn

Midnight Kentucky Blue Grass 60%

Longfellow II Chewings Fescue 30%

Cindy Lou Creeping Red Fescue 10%

We're located on top of a bluff and our home was constructed with quite a bit of sandy fill so with roughly 4" of topsoil it drains quickly. And living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (zone 5a) our spring/summer is usually about a month behind the rest of the midwest. I'm relatively new to quality lawn care and haven't used organic fertilizers (other than milorganite once). My previous lawn care was basically fertilize once with chemicals in May and another application in July, then re-seed in October. Water deeply and infrequently and cut long (although my wife wants me to cut short because it looks better).

Reading past posts and getting assistance from another post, I believe I have a rough idea of my plan, but need to get some specifics for organic fertilizer application types, amount, application schedule.

Here's my rough plan:

Start with a pre-emergent herbicide (our temps are regularly in the 50s during the day by May 1). Then (according to Morpheuspa) start alternating Milorganite and soybean meal until October.

How are my plans so far? With our early spring here in the U.P. I'm going to have to take action soon and could really use a detailed plan of action.

Thanks!

Joel

Comments (6)

Sponsored