SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwutzke

Toxic plant - not poison ivy - help!

jwutzke
14 years ago

I'm being affected by a mystery toxic plant on our VT property -- let me say at the outset that I'm certain it's not poison ivy; I know well what that looks like and I know that's not the culprit here.

The problem starts with a reddening of the skin, in specific, defined areas (i.e., not an overall rash), followed in some cases by a blistering. The redness seems to appear about 12 to 24 hours after exposure, with the blister coming on several hours after that. (In this case, I think I was exposed the morning of Friday the 25th, only noticed some redness Saturday midday, and a blister had appeared by Sunday a.m.) The blister is bigger than poison ivy blistering (which in my experience is more like a field of pinhead blisters, whereas right now I'm dealing with just one blister, albeit the size of a pencil eraser, where my pinky joins my hand). Blisters go away after several days, but the skin stays reddened and discolored a *long* time -- to this day, if I'm in florescent light or if I really exert myself, you can still faintly make out spots on my arm from a mid-June exposure!

A potentially important fact is that there's virtually no itching whatsoever -- if I didn't see it I wouldn't know I have something wrong!

Based on the one small current breakout, the culprit is something growing near my cherry saplings -- the only time I had my gloves off was when I had to reach through wire gauge fencing to pull weeds from around the trunks.

From web research I'm thinking maybe baneberry. I seem to recall something growing there that looked like it (and the cherries are near the pond, so there's the proper moist habitat for baneberry). There were some burdock growing there, and one web article suggested some people are allergic to burdock, but I think it meant more in the food allergy sense not dermatologically. Several other things were growing there too, including plain ol' grasses and some daffodil-y things (multiple leaves coming out of a common point like daffodils), though I'm not sure what that was (obviously I know they weren't daffodils; we're months past when they grew, and these leaves were more lime-green than dark green). Before anyone asks the obvious -- "go and look at the plants that are growing there" -- I'm back in our Phoenix home now after a visit to VT last week. So I can only operate on memory until we go back in the spring.

Thoughts? Anyone experience anything similar?

Thanks!

Jeff

Comments (6)