SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trillium15_gw

Poison Ivy , Septic Beds and Drilled Wells - Help

trillium15
15 years ago

We have recently moved from the city to 2 1/2 acres in northeastern Ontario. I have had a mild run in with Poison Ivy on the side of my gravel driveway this spring. I know now what it looks like and it's rampant around the perimeter of my lawn and along the driveway, among the asparagus and the raspberry canes that were there when we moved in.

I read that if poison ivy is growing among fruits or veggies, it's possible for them to absorb some of the poisonous urushriol (sp?). Does anyone know this to be true? I'd hate to eat the asparagus and raspberries and get gravely ill.

Also, we are considering spraying it with Weed Out. It's for lawns to kill dandilions and clover. I was going to spray the bottle into a watering can and then water along the areas where it's encroaching on the lawn. (the label claims to kill poison ivy among other weeds)

Here's my concerns:

1. will spraying with roundup or other weed killer be dangerous for frogs, birds squirrels, etc?

2. Can spraying the grass over my septic bed cause leaching into the septic bed and kill beneficial bacteria in the septic bed or cause other problems?

3. We have a drilled well. Was thinking of spraying the grass in that area as well. For clover and dandilions moreso than PI. Does anyone know if it will leach into the water supply?

From reading all the threads on here about PI I haven't heard anyone who has been able to really irradicate it. I'm learning to accept that I have to live with it...kinda like blackfly season. It's a trade off for living outside of the city. I just want to keep it away from the veggies, fruits and the grass.

Also...my neighbor told me that the dog can get it on her fur but only if the leaves are wet. If it's dry, she can walk through it with no problems. I walked her through the new shoots in May, not knowing what they were, and didn't have any reactions, nor did the dog. I did rub up against it on my wrist though a few days later and later that day, I got stung by a wasp. I took 2 benadryl for the wasp sting so I think that the small red bumps that were mildly itchy could have been worse outbreak if not for the 2 benadryl. Makes you woozie as heck but from the sounds of it, it's much better than a full blown breakout.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!