SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

From one extreme to the other...

Just a little over a week ago, I was walking through my garden, dragging my hose, counting up the casualties from the drought - quite a few astilbes, some coreopsis, all my sweet woodruff, lots of lamium, and so on.

Today, I stand looking out my front door at my front lake - er, uh, front lawn, which is under at least three inches of water. I listen to my sump pump going furiously, dumping water out of the basement almost continously. During a ten-minute lull in the rain I took a walk to the mailbox, and stood staring for several minutes at a new bed, filled with lilies and roses, which had at least two inches of standing water on it. I had dug this bed out - by hand with a trowel, practically! - almost two feet down, and filled it with great soil and amendments. It settled over the summer and I was planning on filling it up a bit this fall to raise it above the level of the grass, but I guess I wasn't fast enough. I just stared at it and thought of those lily bulbs.

After noticing several other plants in several other spots sitting in puddles, I decided to go back in the house.

Near the front door, I looked at a small clump of fall-blooming crocus. I had actually forgotten that I planted these last year, and was thrilled to see them peek above ground last week. Now the poor things are all lying over flat against the ground, covered in mud like everything else in the yard.

The paper this morning said that as of Thursday night, we had gotten 7.2 inches. I know we really, really needed this rain, and I hate to complain, but did we have to get it all at once?

Add this one to the list of "be careful what you wish for"...

:)

Dee

Comments (20)