SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldpaddy

Cape Cod gardening questions (noob)

oldpaddy
13 years ago

***I posted this in the Northeast Coast forum, but it was a graveyard, so I reposted it here***

Hi, all! I'm planning next years garden and could use some advice.

I started my first vegetable garden this year and it went ok. Tomatoes were great and lettuce was good too. Broccoli and carrots not so well. I live on the lower cape and it's sandy soil (actually it's just sand). This spring I dug up an area and added about 2-3" of soil from Bayberry gardens. I didn't mix it in, just laid it on top of the sand. I then built it into mounds. I was pleased with the results from my first try and now want to create a permanent vegetable garden.

Next year I'm going to do a flower bed and move the vegetable garden to a different spot. I have an 20'x20'x6' foundation for a cottage that was never built that I've decided to turn into my vegetable garden. The foundation has been there for about 10yrs without being used and I have no plans to have the cottage built. Since I don't have the money to fill it in, I figured it'd be great for a garden. It doesn't have a floor and gets full sun.

So far I've thrown two pallets side by side in one corner and have a lot of compost material on them. I took a mower (with bag) and mowed up years worth of leaves and dumped them in the compost pile. I've added kitchen scraps (no meat or bread), coffee grounds/filters from D&D, a lot of horse manure/shavings from a neighbor and today I added a bunch of fresh seaweed from the beach. I'll be adding more of the same and will make another pile in another corner soon. I turned it a little today and added some lime. It's about 6' tall right now, but it's fresh.

In the spring I plan to spread it out as much as possible while still being at least 3" deep.

Now my questions are, should I till it in? Do I have to? If I don't, how deep should it be? What do you think of my compost? Will the foundation help keep the garden warmer in the spring/fall?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)