SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donrawson

Hauling Rocks on a Stone Boat, Sled, or Dolly

donrawson
14 years ago

Hauling Rocks on a Stone Boat, Sled, or Dolly (Part 2)

Now that we've talked about how to move rocks and boulders using a stone bar, what methods can be employed for moving them greater distances?

Wheelbarrows and Wagons

Heavy duty wheelbarrows and wagons with large tires can handle large loads that need to be moved short distances. This one made by Huanya is equipped with a very wide tire, to handle the additional weight without sinking into the ground. Ive hauled many large rocks up to 600-800# in my wheelbarrow. Just make sure you have good footing, and an extra person to help you guide the load. (Tip: get a heavy guage steel wheelbarrow. Even though the rocks will leave dents, a metal one won't split out like a plastic one.)

Wagons with large pneumatic tires can handle even greater loads. TheyÂre very useful, and more stable than a wheelbarrow. This one made by Little Giant is rated to haul loads up to 3000# and is available from Amazon.com for $399.

However, the problem with moving rocks in a wheelbarrow or wagon is that a rock or boulder must be lifted 2 or 3 ft. to get it in. Even rolling a boulder up a plank into a wagon can be tricky. ThatÂs why a stone boat, sled, or dolly (hand truck) is a better choice for moving boulders.

Stone Boats

A stone boat can be built using a variety of materials, but the most common is wood. Constructing a stone boat with hardwood planks from a sawmill, such as oak or maple, are more durable than the pine boards found at a lumberyard. Bolt the planks together securely to make the stone boat as strong as possible.

An old car hood is ideal for a stone boat because the front edge is shaped like a toboggan, and the bottom is smooth and slippery. Once youÂve bolted a chain to the front, youÂre ready to load it up with stones and rig it behind your riding lawnmower or car. YouÂll be surprised how well this works! (Tip: remove the hood ornament before using.)

My own stone boat is constructed from a 3 x 5 length of conveyor belt. IÂve bolted a piece of ¾" plywood to the front and attached a chain. IÂve moved a lot of rocks on it. Of course, the advantage is that I can easily roll rocks onto it, or load a boulder on it using the technique described in the previous posting, i.e. rotating the rock with a stone bar. (If you need a piece of conveyor belt, send me an email.)

In the winter once the ground is frozen, large boulders can be moved without tearing up the lawn.

Stone Sleds

Similar to a stone boat, a stone sled has runners to raise the bed off the ground. While this provides a little ground clearance, the disadvantage is that you'll have to roll a boulder up a ramp to get it onto the sled.

Here are a couple of pics I found on the Internet:

Boulder Carts

Lastly, a boulder cart (aka tree dolly, hand truck) is very handy and well worth the investment if you have a lot of boulders to move. Get one with large pneumatic tires. Some are rated for loads up to 1800#!

You can even get motorized hand dollies, although they aren't rated to haul as much weight.

Comments (25)