SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

how to transport very big granite rocks??

gottagarden
18 years ago

I have a kind friend who said I can have her BIG rocks. (she wants to clear out a scrubby area so it can be mown etc.)

I am thrilled with these rocks, they are beautiful and will look fantastic in my yard :-) The largest is probably 4 feet in diameter and 2.5 feet high. Lots of large ones, just decreasing in size from there. I assume these are too heavy to transport in my full size pickup truck, even one at a time. I don't want to be horribly unsafe. I want to move about 10 of them.

I will have to pay a farmer with a huge tractor $150/hour to load them.

I will have to pay another person $225/hr to unload them.

I have to pay for transport.

Question is what is the best way to move them?

Someone suggested a flat bed trailer, but each rock would probably have to be tied down with straps, and not sure if that is really feasible. Anyone done this?

Someone suggested a dumptruck, but I'm concerned that when the driver got to my house and dumped them, they might break or crack if they tumble over each other as they get dumped. Right now many have beautiful smooth roundish surfaces, and big cracks or gouges would detract from their beauty.

I could move them one or two at a time in a small trailer we have, but the problem then is I have to pay for the loading every single time, even though it's only going to take 10 miutes. It's not efficient. But I wouldn't have to pay for an unloader then, since I could drive each one to its own spot.

Anybody have ideas? How do I get these gorgeous monsters to travel 30 miles to their new home?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight. I just have my heart set on these rocks now.

Comments (17)

Sponsored