SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian_stricklin

Bermuda grass very thin or not growing due to rocks?

Owen Chicken
6 years ago

I moved into an existing house about a year and a half ago. My previous lawn had perfect looking Bermuda. I paid a company to treat it a few times a year, and I cut it. Sometimes it would get a few inches tall, sometimes I would keep it short. I cut it when I could. I watered each area for 20 minutes 2 days a week. It always looked great. I moved to a new house not far from the old one last year. I'm in the southeast by the way. So, this yard didn't look nearly as good. It's also a full Bermuda yard. There were thin spots, and spots that weren't growing grass at all. Which confused me, because Bermuda spreads like crazy. I raked up the ground and put sod in the bare spots near the house late last summer and those appear to be doing okay. They are just now turning green. There are a few large thin spots in the yard. Grass grows, but it's clearly thin and is very light green colored. So, I dug up about a 12 x 12 inch area about 6 or 8 inches down and under this thin sod are an incredible amount of rocks. Just solid layers or rocks. Many as big as softballs. I've never seen anything like it. I filled up a bucket with the rocks from this one area. The areas with no growth have the same issue - rocks just below the surface. So, what is the usual course of action here? I could dig and dig and dig and try to remove all of the rocks. I could just scrape up the top layer of soil and lay sod. Or I could add some sort of fill dirt/top soil/compost/whatever else to add a bigger layer between the sod and the rocks. What's the best approach here? And, am I right in believing that the rocks are causing the thin spots and bare spots? I was always under the impression that Bermuda will spread everywhere, so this is new to me.

Comments (14)