SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie717_gw

Fleas

Julie717
12 years ago

Hi everyone--I have two dogs and two cats and a flea problem. I have always used Frontline + regularly, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. So I tried out Advantage II on my cats and it did work, except the cat with flea allergy dermatitis had a bad reaction to it. So now I've gone back to using the FL+ on him, twice a month, but he is covered with scabs anyway. He is old and I'm worried about covering him in pesticides all the time.

So I have bought an Insect Growth Regulator called Archer (pyriproxyfen) to spray in the areas of the yard and house where my pets like to hang out, especially the scabby cat. I am concerned though about what affect this will have on the beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. I am mostly planning to use it under porches, and in lawn areas with no flowers, so I think it will be ok? I also plan to buy Advantage II for the dogs next time and keep using it on the cat that isn't bothered by it (she is the only animal that doesn't have fleas). I wanted to ask you guys what you thought and what has worked for you. I noticed there are a lot of natural flea products out there that contain ingredients that are known to be toxic to cats--I am hoping that spraying the yard instead will be less likely to bother my sensitive cat.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH