SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vinlo

Topdressing Lawn Timing

13 years ago

We had our lawn redone at the beginning of last season due to extensive home renovations and regrading required. That being said, last year was a bit of a wash when it came to a decent lawn - lots of weeds took hold in the spring before the grass did - so it was a bit of an up hill battle. We overseeded in the fall last year with a slit seeder so at the end of the season things were looking up. Last year all work was done with synthentics.

This year we have made the choice to switch over to organic. As such we want to apply compost topdressing to the lawn. I have read, read and read some more and have decided to put it down this weekend, my question is is this too early to apply topdressing? Temperatures are just getting warm now in our area (Windsor/Detroit) and weather predictions show an increase in the weeks coming with nighttime temps staying above freezing. Also we are supposed to get rain the following monday, so it seems like good timing.

Does this sound like a problem to anyway?

I want to get this done so I get can some CGM down in the weeks coming to combat the crabgrass and goose grass that were the bane of my existence lasts year. After that I will follow up with ACT, alfalfa and soybean throughout the rest of the year and overseed (slit seeder) in the fall again.

Any help/insight is appreciated.

Comments (4)

Sponsored