SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ron48_gw

Future plant swaps, discussions

ron48
18 years ago

Is the idea of spring and fall swaps better than just having one or the other?

Are the dates too early or too late?

Now remember this is a question, so lets not kill the messenger.

The reason I ask, because of cutting and scion material not being mature enough to collect for sticking cuttings for the spring swap.

Example is, stem cuttings will produce many more plants with out having to dig, divide and replant. Not for all plants but surely for many. aster, mums, phlox, sedums, penstemon, gaura, willows, shrubs and some trees.

I would rather swap cutting materials. A stem of Penstemon Huskers Red can be easily rooted at every pair of leaves. 8-10 rooted cuttings. and no digging !!!!!! I don't loose any flowering either.

Any thoughts on this. I know its early, so if this thread gets lost should it merit a discussion later when its cold and snowy.

AND what about a New England wide swap, just once in a while? Not to eliminate any other swaps but to get to meet others.

Too much, too soon, and not cold enough yet?

Remember don't kill the messenger, he's only asking a question.

Ron

Comments (48)

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Though I haven't been to swaps through this forum, I think one in Spring and one in Fall is a great idea. Spring, especially, when people may have a lot of annual seedlings they can't use and are dividing perennials, anyway.

Also, a NE swap is a wonderful idea!! It would give folks a chance to try plants they think might not ever work in their zones/locations.

One considertion for a multi-state swap is location. It would seem that southern VT or NH would be the most central locale.

Martie

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

We've been having both a spring and a fall swap here in CT for at least 3 years, (that's when I started going, so it may have been both for much longer than that) and I think it's a great idea. It's fun to see everyone more than once - as a matter of fact, we even had a summer get-together this year, without the swapping, lol.

I think the idea of a New England-wide swap sounds like fun too. Lots of organziation involved, though, no?

:)
    Dee

• Related Discussions

Future Plant Swap ??? Your Opinion, please!

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi! I just joined the group. I've read several posts, but haven't found anywhere that tells me what part of Alabama most of you are from! I'm in Tuscaloosa, but sort of new to the state. I'm in a new house and LOVE gardening! The lady that lived in my house before me had LOTS of raised flower beds in the very tiny yard. Hardly any grass at all. We moved in March and everything was dead or bare. I've spent a lot of time removing some of the beds and planting grass since I have 2 dogs. But it's been fun seeing new plants come up! I have Hollyhocks (never have grown them before), zennias, periwinkles, hydrangeas, and roses. I'm slowly adding my own plant choices. Even some veges! I would Love to attend the swap. I have plenty of Hollyhock seeds to share.
    ...See More

suggestion for future swaps

Q

Comments (17)
    Hey there Linda- Now I get it! I was wondering what was behind the reason for change- I have always asked the person if there was more to be traded from the garden it came from. Call it a post swap. Or- I ask the person who picked it up if they would share some as soon as it could be chopped up again. I think that is why/how Pre Swapping using our GW page started- I do really like it when folks talk about their plants- I am still learning so much and I appreciate learning from the grower! It was a wonderful experience at my first swap to uload my car right into others waiting arms- as the "unloaders" talked about what they were offering. Kinda like Christmas and every one got to be Santa! But I do like the addition of ROUNDS- it helps to keep it more even- instead of the more gregarious (um- that sounds like me....) folks getting the most/best- while the meek/polite stand back and watch.... With rounds- you are pretty much assured that every one has a pretty equal chance at getting a few treasures high up on their want list. It does mean that you must have an excellent memory- or paper though... What I really miss are lables! Where are those names?!? Or even a discription if the 'name' is lost or unknown- like medium blue green unknown hosta- tall pink astilbe- When you bring a new to you plant home- it is hard to remember names or types of plant let alone know how to take care of it if you don't have the briefest bit information to rely on. It could be on masking tape taped to the pot- or a cut up blind or what ever- every little bit helps! I do like that the GW swap is different than others- we are a community here in GW- We give freely of ourselves and our gardens to each other- we are known to each other- we offer help and suggestions and encouragement to each other- I think our swap should reflect that about us. We are not such a large group that needs precision organization - nor are we the dump and run types. All of the different swaps I have been to- I have enjoyed each individual "flavor"- but I like ours best. It is the people at this swap that make the swap good- It is their willingness to give of themselves and their plants to others whom they are known to - that's what I like best.
    ...See More

trading seeds and plants by mail/local plant swaps

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry Christie, I know about posting on exchanges and not here but i was afraid no one would look there. Except for swaps its kinda slow over there. I made the trade on seed exchange anyway. so i'll apoligize again and keep my exchanges on seed trade. thanks Vickie
    ...See More

!!!When did this happen??! Future swaps?

Q

Comments (43)
    Hi Sandi (and everyone else), Rats looks like I can't make it but was so close. We have to go to Iowa for a graduation so I'll be passing by late of Fri night and then again on Monday. I'm so far behind there are plants everywhere wanting to be taken care of and or planted. There is a great private plant sale here in the wausau area this weekend. If you get off on Hwy N and go north on Rib Mt. Dr. (the shopping strip) look for Aldi's and then you should start to see her signes. I got tons of great plants at very reasonable prices. Lots of great contributing gardeners come to this sale. Anyway about the possible trade on Rib Mt any thoughts on dates? Here's what weekends I still have open; 3rd weekend of June, 3rd weekend of July, and so far Aug is open. Catrina
    ...See More
  • mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    18 years ago

The following is simply my point of view, and doesn't necessarily go for anybody else.

The plant swaps haven't been organized well enough in regard to who has what and who wants what, to make something like a cutting exchange work. They have been run on more of a garage sale principle - my trash may be somebody else's treasure - so the digging and dividing aspect of getting the plants isn't necessarily a negative. We may be getting to the point, though, where everyone who wants the commonly available spreading plants already has them, and we do need to move on to more sophisticated propagation methods. The only type of plant I have extensive rooting experience with is roses. Some people have good success with fall cuttings, provided they have lights. I've always preferred June cuttings, which isn't one of our usual plant swap times. June is a very busy month for us, and it can be difficult to fit something else in.

A big New England plant swap is certainly intriguing. However, I think a lot of thought has to be put into the proper location, and who is really going to be willing to drive to one. For example, would people in the Berkshires be willing to come to the spring swap if asked? It's a straight shot down the hills instead of across them like I have to go, and shouldn't be that bad a trip.

BTW, I found a way home that only took me an hour and a quarter, including being stuck behind some very slow traffic. Now I'll just have to see if I can backtrack it next spring. There was a shortcut southeast of Kent that I may never find again.

• martieinct
    18 years ago

Though I'm new on this forum I have a feeling that it's going to be a part of my winter activities. Sorry if this gets long.

Several (about 10) years ago there was a very active "Board" on AOL dealing with Herbs. One gentleman from Nebraska who owns a large wholesale herb farm invited anyone who wanted to come to "Herbstock." People from 8 states came. The next year, a friend and I offered to host/ess in Connecticut with a tour starting at White Flower Farm and ending at Logees. People came in from 11 states -- some drove, some flew. It was unforgettable.

Organizing such an event isn't unusually difficult -- says she who has no kids living at home and an incredibly tolerant DH. As for who wants/gets what, a simple Excel spreadsheet does the trick. The spreadsheets, organized if possible by botanical names but backed up with common names provided by the getter/giver, are sent to one person who merges them together and publishes a final roster for the event.

Will I volunteer to do that? Yes. If someone else volunteers to find a good location and set a date. And, if that same person or other persons volunteers to do other tasks that will pop up. Trust me, it's really fun once it's all over :-)

Not a bad way to spend May/October day.

Martie

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

I like the idea of having both spring and fall swaps. I'm planning to take cuttings of many hydrangeas in the spring, and will bring some new, unrooted ones in spring and some more established ones in fall. I figure that not everyone wants to bother with the rooting process, or not everyone has the right spot for it.

Lexington was almost 2 hours away for me, I'm not sure how much further I'd be able to drive for a swap. On the other hand, a trip to WFF, Logees, Weston Nurseries, Haskells, or Polly Hill Arboretum (hint, hint, Katy) would always be tempting.

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness I really want to be able to share some of my magical spots with you all. (Victory Garden this Sat. highlighted but a few). I have a garage apt that will sleep four (dormitory style) and two guest bedrooms for the spring and three in the fall. Sadly housing here is very expensive but give me a few months to TRY and network a few more rooms. The island has worked very creatively over many years to try and keep public access open to many important locations. I would love it if you brought back to your communitee's examples of what works in a small microcosim and what you think might work in your home town. I live in Katama which is one of the very last few stretches of Sandplain land that has not been paved over with asphalt (sorry Long Island). I would really like to keep the discussion of an exchange/meeting/or just plain fun reason to get together open.

• ron48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Katy, that would be very exciting.

Ron

• triciae
    18 years ago

I also would love to attend a spring & fall exchange. I haven't yet attended the CT exchanges 'cause our gardens are only 2 years old but by next year I'll have some things to share. The idea of a New England event is especially appealing. I also have my kids on their own now & do not work outside the home would be willing to volunteer some time to help organize.

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

Hi Ron48,
    I wasn't able to come to the fall swap last week at Marie's and wouldn't be able to come to any fall swap. That is when I'm booked for craft shows every weekend through Dec. 1st. I was a big part of the spring swap. I'm the one that Adam aka Ann mentioned in a post on WS about having at least 50 seedlings at the swap.
    I think a spring swap is not only excellent, but very important to have. many of us do a lot of Winter Sowing and of course we end up with way to many seedlings, both annual and perennial. Spring is a wonderful time to swap and give away all of those extras and get others in exchange.
    We had a wonderful time at the spring swap, many, many seedlings where swapped and given away,including all of "my winter sown babies". They all went to good homes and everyone was thrilled with what they brought home.
    I myself had sown many annuals and perennials, many of which you don't usually find in the nurseries or box stores around here and so did others.
    I would not want to see the loss of a spring swap for us and only have a fall one.
    Anyone from the spring swap in lexington, what do you think
    Fran

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

I always enjoy our CT swaps but have to admit I mainly come for the social activity. At this point I don't need much in the way of plants-perennials anyway-but have plenty to give away. A regional swap/get together sounds like fun and I would definitely attend if the date and location worked out. Spring or fall, it doesn't matter to me.

Martie, I co-hosted a Gardenweb weekend in July through the conversation area in the perennial forum and had people come in from all over-WA, IL, MI, OH, NY, NH, MD, MA and Canada. We filled the weekend with garden events and private tours and parties and had a blast. It was actually our second get together-last year we all met for the first time in the Detroit area. Next year, Chicago here we come. All the months of planning were well worth the end result.

Sue

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I've been coming to the CT swaps for 2 years. My garden being fairly new (to me), I've had a lot of the more common spreaders, and less of the more interesting plants/cultivars.

I always suggest that swappers check out my trade list so that I don't bring stuff nobody wants. I'm also willing to take divisons or cuttings of my less abundant plants if someone asks for something, even if I'm not trying to get rid of extras and don't have much to spare.

It seems I've always been encouraged to bring whatever I have, and someone would take it, but it never seemed to make sense to do all of that work to dig, divide, pot and load the car just to have the plants sit there unwanted.

I'm wondering, do the other successful swaps do the "tag sale" thing, or are the swaps more organized? Maybe we should start a thread on the Perennials forum asking other swappers how they organize, what works for them, etc.

I'm in favor of a spring and fall swap, mostly because these are both good times to plant. The timing of them, later or earlier, doesn't matter much to me, because I never get everything in the ground right away anyway.

The mid-summer get-together was fun, too, even without the swapping, and I enjoyed seeing Oliver Nursery, a place I'd not likely have gotten to otherwise. I'd certainly do that again, and would be willing to host one at my place, though my garden is still young and a bit rough around the edges.
    Jo

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Tricia, check out the last post regarding the CT swap - we are actually trying to encourage people who DON'T have anything to bring to come to the swaps, lol! There is usually so much stuff left - and there seems to be more each year. Make sure you come to the spring swap - we'd love to meet you in person!

I can't say that I would go to Chicago or Detroit for a swap, lol, no matter how many garden-related activities were planned - although, it's more a kids/money/job thing than not *wanting* to go. But I would love to go to a regional get-together, if the dates worked out for me. I guess the million-dollar question is who wants to volunteer to organize? :)

Dee

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    18 years ago

Dee, the one thing we don't do at our get togethers is swap plants...lol, I wouldn't fly to Detroit or Chicago just to do that either.

Tricia, yes, please join us at the swaps. Bring food if you don't have plants. For our group that would go over just as well if not better.

Sue

• Marie Tulin
    18 years ago

I'm already attached to seeing gardening buddies at least twice a year. If we wanted to do something 'in between' like take advantage of Ron's "specialties" I could see a 'mini meet' where perhaps, you proprogators could teach us others a thing or two.

However, for me, it isn't so much ignorance as time.

Ron, thanks for starting ths conversation. Notice, no one is upset...we're just generating ideas.
    Marie

• wendy2
    18 years ago

I like the idea of having a swap twice a year, spring & fall. A regional get-together sounds good, it would be worth a longer trip if other garden-related activities were on the agenda.

I agree with Dee, I think the swaps would be even more worthwhile if more new gardeners came that would be happy with our extras. Don't by shy! Jo also made a good point: though I hate throwing plants away, it is a lot of trouble to pot up & bring stuff nobody ends up taking home. More communication ahead of time re: pre-arranged swaps or "adoptions" of the more common things would be good.

Next year I plan to start a trade list early, and keep it up-to-date prior to the swap. The trade list feature on our member pages can be edited, unlike the posts which are hard to scroll through trying to figure out who is looking for what.

-Wendy

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

One advantage of a spring swap over a fall one is that there are lots of ways to recycle leftover plants. My town has several community plant sales in spring - the Woods Hole library, the local "beautification council," and the master gardeners all host them over the course of 2 or 3 weekends, and I'm sure there are similar sales in just about every town in NE. If the spring swap is early enough, I'll just bring my leftovers home and take them to the library.

We did a fair amount of chatting before the Lexington swap - so I think we all had an idea about what would be in demand. I also really liked all the surprises, and I was glad that not everything was pre-arranged. I came home with some beautiful sedum, heuchera, and hosta, and a pasque flower, all spur of the moment, as well as a wonderful hydrangea that was a pre-planned swap.

It was a great mix, and we were really lucky to have some new gardeners there too.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Well, Sue, do I feel silly, lol! I mean, really, now that I think of it, who WOULD fly halfway across the country with plants in tow for a swap, lol?? And back again? I guess I meant to say that traveling so far for a garden-related gathering is just not in the stars for me at the moment. I often longingly read about rose society meetings etc., and wish I could get to them, but my schedule and my wallet just don't allow it at the moment. But I do look forward to it in the future.

Think I can convince the ARS to have their annual convention in Bridgeport?

But a regional gathering is another thing altogether!

Dee

• lise_b
    18 years ago

I've never had a problem getting rid of extra plants. This fall swap, my eyes were a bit bigger than my stomach-- er, garden-- but everything found a home through a freecycle type list. And I discovered several new-to-me plants, primarily the rose campion and the gaura, that are just exceptionally beautiful. So I guess my summary is, the spring swap would be my vote if we could only have one (because boy I like those WS people! *g*), but fall is a good addition too.

• mmqchdygg
    18 years ago

Just putting my 2¢ in...

I must confess that as a newbie, it didn't make much sense to me to participate in a plant swap when I had nothing to swap. In my book, that crosses a very thin line of 'taking advantage' of people, or just plain rude behavior. So I scrambled to find things to bring to our local NH swap last month and was comfortable with the meagher offerings I had to share.
    It would have been rude of me to show up empty-handed, and not to speak for everyone, but it might be that others feel similarly.

With that said, I do have to say that I would definitely be one of those newbies who would very much appreciate any generosity sent my way, and would welcome new plants that you might just want to share for the fun of sharing. I just feel 'weird' about it when I don't have anything in exchange, but a huge THANK YOU is always in order!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

I don't know about the other swaps, but ours in CT always has a lot of extras. I'm more than happy to share with new gardeners who don't have much to bring, and I certainly don't think it's rude to participate unless you have plants to spare.

Now, if you had lots of goodies at home, and didn't share them, but came to take advantage of the generosity of the others, that would be rude.

A good part of the joy I get from gardening is when people visit my humble garden to share the experience, or when I can spread some happiness around in the form of extra plants, knowing that they will make someone else's corner of the world a happier and more attractive place. When the plants increase in size in their new home, and can then be shared with yet another gardener, well, I think that's just perfect.

Maybe we should call them Gatherings instead of Swaps.

• Marie of Roumania
    18 years ago

i used to have a plot in a community garden in boston & was missing the comraderie. getting to attend the recent lexington plant swap reminded me again that gardeners are good people. in any gathering of plant nuts, i'm always going to feel like an empty-handed newbie & that's a little uncomfortable, but i just love listening to everyone spouting latin names & expounding on their pet theories. MMQCHDYGG -- musicians & artists love an audience, and so do gardeners, i think. i'm sure you bring more than you realize to the table.

going to attempt winter-sowing for the first time, so will hopefully be able to repay some of the generosity at a spring swap. be very afraid!

• wendy2
    18 years ago

I agree, we should call them Gatherings. Meeting and chatting with fellow gardeners is always interesting and a lot of fun, and it is great to be with people who don't get that glazed look when you start rambling on about your hostas, or worse yet your soil!

Marie, people like me who hate to throw plants away love the "empty-handed newbie". I like the thought that someone can give a home to plants that I just don't have room for. SayPoint said it very well in her post, sharing is a big part of the enjoyment of gardening.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

Wendy2, I know that glazed look. At parties you'll find me running on about compost.
    Jo

• diggingthedirt
    18 years ago

And an "empty handed newbie" can always bring something to eat! I was halfway to the Lexinton swap when I realized I had completely forgotten to bring any edible treats to share. Luckily I had plenty of plants, but I was still a little embarassed, especially when I realized that I was also just about fainting from hunger after a 2 hour drive. Also luckily, there was enough food for a small army, even an army of famished gardeners.

So, yeah, maybe gatherings is a better term, if it will encourage people to come who don't have plants to bring.

• littleonefb
    18 years ago

I'm one of those WS people and I love those who come to a swap with little or nothing to swap. Those who came to the spring swap in Lexington know what I mean. I lost count after I hit 50 on the number of seedlings I brought to the swap. I was really only looking for a few specific things to bring home and was really good about it too. I only brought home those few things. And yes almost all of my "WS babies" found good homes. The few remaining Marie took to church with her and found homes for them there. I was thrilled to just give them away to those who wanted them and introduce other gardeners to different kinds of plants. Most important to me is for those who feel they shouldn't come because they have nothing to bring, don't feel that way. I Say, come, please come and start your gardens off with our extra plants, they need good homes, lots of tender loving care, and excited new gardeners to please. Bring some napkins, cups, cold water (we needed lots of that last june, it was so hot), enjoy yourselves, meet new gardeners, learn from us, let us help you and get started. then the next year it will be your turn to help start of someone else with all your new seedlings.
    If anyone is wondering, yes I will be at a spring swap, and I'm sure I will have tons of WS seedlings again. I always sow way to many seeds than I really need. common plants and not so common. Greening, I'll have tons again for you. And I agree, if we are deciding on only one swap, my vote goes for the spring swap. That's when we fill the gardens with annuals and perennials.
    Hope to see all of you that feel "weird" or what ever about coming without any plants.
    Fran

• runktrun
    18 years ago

Swap vs. Gathering our lifeÂs rhythm of give and take is certainly demonstrated at the plant swaps but shouldnÂt we celebrate that rather than trying to call it something it is not? The year each one of my daughters stopped believing in Santa Claus I soften their transition by telling them "When you stop believing in Santa is when you become Santa". Newbies have faith the day will come, all too soon I am afraid that your gardens will fill up and you too will experience the pleasure of passing on plants to someone who is thrilled to receive them. Until that time enjoy every minute of being a new gardener, I have created a number of gardens over the years but the one that I remember with the most fondness is my first (much like other experiences in my life!).
    I would like to see both the spring and fall plant exchanges continue as long as there is enough interest to justify the effort. My interest in my garden and in gardening in general ebbs and sways from season to season year to year, as neither my life nor the garden are one-dimensional. The day may come that there is a clear preference to one season but I donÂt think that time has arrived yet. Katy

• roflol
    18 years ago

Hi! I found this thread looking for information on sedum cuttings. My neighbor has a hill of them that she needs "trimmed" (she doesn't like them spilling over the retaining wall onto her driveway) and I wanted to offer the trimmings on freecycle, but I don't know what to do with them after they're cut while waiting for adoption, how long they'll last, that type of thing. I'd love to visit y'all in the NE but not likely to happen for a while. I need to find a local Kansas City group! Thanks in advance for any information.
    :-)

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    18 years ago

roflol, the cuttings can probably be put in loosely closed plastic bags to keep them from drying out too fast. Maybe you can offer the cuttings and cut them when you need to fill an "order". Or stick them in the soil in a spare corner of the garden so they're "planted" until needed. Trimming them now will make them look like carp for the rest of the year, can she wait until spring and divide/thin them then to prevent the spilling?

• roflol
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info, SayPoint. I'll find some soil and plop them in to wait for adoption... hopefully they'll go as fast as my orange daylilies did and they won't have to wait long to be planted. Her hill is covered with them, and the only trimming she wants to do is along the edge with the landscaping ties along the driveway. My plan was to use my electric trimmer and "slice" the overhang off, faster than hand shearing I'd imagine, and hopefully leave a cleaner line. I'm sure she'd rather do it sooner than later, she's always asking me if I need any, suggesting places I could plant it.
    :-)
    Thanks again.

• arbo_retum
    18 years ago

I WOULD LIKE TO PUT IN A SUGGESTION AND AN OFFER TO VOLUNTEER. I have been unable to attend both lex. swaps because of competing garden-related activities. most recently, for the fall swap, i was attending the fabulous FREE day of workshops at tranquil lake in rehoboth ma., near providence. So my point is that, when it comes time to plan dates for the swaps or other activities, it might be best if someone (and this is my offer to volunteer) checked to help assure that no other major garden-related activities were scheduled on the days that were being considered. if the ultimate organizers contact me, i would take care of this project.
    i would also just like to put in a suggestion that if 'larger purpose' get togethers are put together and offered,coordinating with existing tours or open houses etc.
    might save a lot of effort. i.e. people flying in from around the u.s., or even travelling within new england- might appreciate a tour of local gardenweb gardens tacked onto an Open Garden Day organized by The Garden Conservancy as part of their national program of garden tours of a region's most superb gardens, or the spring Arnold Arboretum sale or the Long Hill Spring sale etc etc. I'm getting the idea that it might be a great thing if there were a web calendar for ongoing garden events in new england.Horticulture mag and the Globe list some but they are certainly not comprehensive.
    hmmmmm..... maybe i could talk to the gardenweb administrators about helping facilitate a New England Calendar of Gardening Events.
    in the meantime, ultimate Swap Organizers, let me know if i can help with the date setting.

• terryboc
    18 years ago

I have been going to all of the NH swaps for the last several years and it was disapointing to have to miss the fall swap this year (I was on vacation in California-a good excuse!). I was thrilled at one swap to receive a lovely comment on my generosity with my foxgloves. It was my first year with a greenhouse and had gone crazy sowing and had a ton of seedlings left over after I stuffed my own garden. That comment gave me as much joy as did the great plants I came home with that day. I hope to try my hand at WS this year, so who knows what I'll have next spring.

I would be very interested in a NE area swap, just to meet some of the people who chat here. I have a great time talking to the people that I have met at the NH swap. It's nice to talk to people as nutty about gardening as I am, since I'm sure that some of my friends find me tiresome at times :). And probably next fall I'll have a surplus of asian pears to contribute to the food offerings!

• runktrun
    17 years ago

I hope Ron won't mind that I bumped his thread but I think he raised some good questions re the swaps I would love for us to keep this thread alive as a place to brainstorm about swaps/gatherings. The following is my personal fantasy about what I would like the New England forum swap to evolve into and I would love to hear what your swap fantasy might be.
    If this were to be a New England gathering and we were to choose a central location many of us would be traveling considerable distances so I would like the swap to include more than just the exchanging of plants. Somethings I would like this to include would be;
    Guest lecturer hired - there are some great garden lecturers that will speak at garden clubs ect.
    Work shop - desperate for hands on pruning techniques
    Garden/Nature tour of that area
    We could also organize a co-op buying of plug plants and distribute at the swap gathering.
    In addition to the hired guest speakers we have so many talented folks who I would love to hear speak or do a workshop.
    This could certainly evolve into a weekend long event that you could participate fully in or choose to come for a specific event.
    So what do you think of my stream of consciousness fantasy? Whats yours?

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Hey Ron!
    I don't know about everyone else, but I would welcome a little mini-tutorial at the '07 Spring or Fall swap on the ease of propagating by cuttings!
    Would anyone else in the NH group be open to sitting around the 'door prize table' at Annie's and having a class? I'd love it!
    And on the flip side of that...if we did a cutting class at the spring swap, would anyone want to participate in a Winter Sowing tutorial in the Fall? I can't imagine that it would take more than an extra hour for each demonstration.
    Thoughts?

• runktrun
    17 years ago

mmq..wxyz
    I like your thoughts on propagating and winter sowing tutorials. Would you be willing to travel to an all New England Swap/Gathering? kt

• Marie Tulin
    17 years ago

Katy,
    how did you ever find a year old thread to bump it?
    The weekend on Martha's Vineyard was absolutely worth the drive and the rest of the traveling time. I would travel and stay a weekend, you know I already have!

I would be willing to help plan and coordinate either local or NE wide. I'd also be willing to host the spring swap in 07, unless someone else is dying to do it.

Mixing up too many ideas, but we have a long winter to work on this.

idabean/marie

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Our spring and fall CT plant swaps have evolved into fairly large gatherings that include food, a raffle, plant shopping at the nursery where it is held and of course lots of great conversation. For the past three years I have also been getting together with a more national group of gardeners I met on GW for a long weekend of garden events and socializing. This past July we met in the Chicago area. We visited the Chicago Botanical Garden, the Morton Arboretum, various specialty nurseries and small public gardens, learned about praire restoration and had some wonderful meals and tours of private gardens. In 2005 the group came here to CT and in 2004 we met in the Detroit area. Every one of these weekends has been a blast. I would definitely be interested in a regional gathering and would be willing to help with whatever I can.

Sue

• runktrun
    17 years ago

In choosing a location would we be better off choosing one permanent location most central to us all or break NE into itÂs different regions (already defined by your regional swaps) and rotate each year having that region host the All New England Swap? Hosting could include drafting the offerings for the weekend as they are familiar with that areas gardens public and private, nurseries, and other points of interest. I would love to hear what you think.
    vtskiers - your national group trips sound like a blast who plans the trips do you take turns?

• ralgam
    17 years ago

I'm new to swaps, but I LOVE the idea, especially the "expanded" swap ideas. How did those of you NH find out about the ones locally? I didn't see anything in the local papers. I'm in southern NH.

• annie_nh
    17 years ago

Haven't visited this site for a few weeks but will add my 2cents.
    IÂve been hosting the NH plant swap since 2002.We started out with just the spring swap but soon after by popular demand the fall plant swap was added. I love hosting these swaps. I can't think of a better way to spend a day than with a group of people who are as excited about gardening as I am. What wonderful friends I have made!! As long as people keep coming, I'll continue to host both spring and fall swaps.
    As far as a regional swap is concerned, donÂt we already have one?. Several people from MA come to the NH swap and we would welcome anyone from anywhere if they wished to come. IÂve been tempted to attend the CT swap because years ago in the 60Âs I taught French at Woodbury High. The distance wouldn't deter me . IÂve made several day trips down there to attend weddings. If you made the swap more than one day the added cost of lodging might deter many. Besides, itÂs hard enough now to find one day that suits most people. And think about weather. A two- day affair would be difficult to postpone at the last minute.
    However, I would love to attend an all- day event that included visiting gardens, nurseries, etc.anywhere in New England. Will watch to see if one is planned.

Tina , I like the idea of a mini tutorial on plant propagating. Ron, do you want to do one in the spring?

• runktrun
    17 years ago

The wonderful thing about the NE forum is we are a large group of individuals with gardening as a shared passion. As a collective group we vary greatly in areas of gardening experience, plant choices (zones 3-7), specialized gardening interest (carnivorous plants, propagating, design, ect), available free time, distance to travel, and available funds to feed our addiction to this passion. Trying to meet all of those needs might be impossible but I think if we try to design a gathering in an inclusive fashion rather than exclusive we can come close. What I mean by that is the more of us that participate in planning a gathering the more likely its shared ownership and broadening of ideas will create something awesome. I would really love to hear your thoughts.

To date folks interested in planning
    Runktrun
    Idabean
    Vtskiers
    Ralgam

Ok I am going to jump out of the pan and into the fire by putting a little more detail to my dream weekend. As some of you may know I have lived in New England for twenty seven years but have unfortunately not spent much time exploring and getting to know the region so I am totally out of my element here and I depend on what I can read for my information. I was recently flipping through my copy of "Guide to The Trustees of the Reservations Properties" and stumbled on a property in Ipswich MA called Castle Hill on that same property there is The Inn at Castle Hill and a Tavern adjacent to the Inn available for small receptions/meetings. I have never been to Castle Hill (or the north shore for that matter), but I have stayed at a different Trustees property and it was amazing. Here is what I like about this choice;
    1. Varied overnight possibilities from classic New England Inn on location to Holiday inn Express or the possibility of being an over night guest of Ma GWÂer.
    2. Indoor facilities for garden lecture/workshop so not dependant on weather or time of year.
    3. Location has additional interest walking trails, fishing, beach, ect.
    4. Meals offered at location.
    5. Close enough to Boston to attract guest lecturer on the coat tails of larger organization.
    Please donÂt just tell me why my dream wonÂt work or that you just donÂt like it (certain to kill any conversation) let me know what you think would work and what you would like this gathering to be. kt

• asarum
    17 years ago

I attended my first swap (Mass. swap)this fall. I just wanted to provide a couple of thoughts. Originally, as the Fall swap was being planned, it seemed as if quite a few people would be attending. Shortly before the time of the swap it became apparent to many people that they couldn't make it. We ended up with a small, intimate group sitting and chatting about our gardens. We had a great time, but had elaborate plans been made for a large group, someone would have ended up disappointed. The longer and more elaborate the event, the smaller the number of people who will ultimately have time to be involved. Life does that to us. Better to organize a plant swap for a short stretch of time with the hope that quite a few people can come and plan additional events around it with the understanding that a much smaller group (even among those who really would like to) will be able to be involved.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ipswich you say? I'm there. Crane's beach, the Castle, and breakfast at Chipper's River Cafe. Oh man, they used to have the best fresh strawberry waffles. When I lived in the area I used to have breakfast at Chipper's a couple of times a month and spent many hours and miles pedaling around on my bike with the North Shore Cyclists bike club. Ipswich is also home to a well known Clematis nursery (link below). Good choice, kt!

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Completely Clematis

• littleonefb
    17 years ago

Having both attended a spring swap and hosted one last spring, I wanted to post a few thoughts as well.
    Though I think that elaborate plans for day long swaps and weekend events can be a wonderful idea, I'm concerned about how overwhelming that may be to new gardeners and to those who would only want to attend a few hours of plant swapping and in turn have no place to attend.
    I agree with Asarum (we missed you at the spring swap), that the more elaborate and lengthy a swap is the fewer people will be able to attend. Weather becomes an issue as it did last spring. I had a rain date for the following week and then some health issues got in the way and we ended up just postsponing the swap by one day. That ended up having a few people not come because of the change and if I remember correctly it rained on the rain date as well.

The eastern mass spring swap was larger than the fall swap, which may be do to just having more plants for swapping in the spring, new people coming that had no plants to swap and where looking for plants to start a new garden and where more than welcome to come, and just the fact that it was in the spring. It seems that more people are interested in spring swaps than fall swaps. I myself am unable to attend fall swaps because of business commitments that I have on the weekends, and prior to that, when my kids where in school, my weekends where full of their sport games that we attended. Many times hubby and I had to take turns going to games as both kids would be playing at the same time.
    I personally prefer the simple, relaxed plant swap with no formal additions added to it. Everyone brings what they have to swap, or comes without and brings a goodies for all, and we just swap plants, visit, talk and have a good time.
    I'm planning on hosting a spring swap again this coming spring, with the same simplicity that I had last year and I know the fall swap had as well. I've had several requests to host it again and think all had a good relaxing time, and we lucked out with no rain.
    To those that where at the swap last year, my back if fine, surgery was a complete success and I'm out working in my gardens putting them to bed for the winter and planning my seed stash for wintersowing this winter. Yes there will be tons of wintersown babies needing good homes again this year as well.
    In no means do I mean to put a damper on a more elaborate type of swap, it's just that many of us are not able to attend anything that is elaborate, costly and might even last a weekend, and would want a swap that lasts a few hours.

Fran

• diggingthedirt
    17 years ago

Ipswich sounds great, Katy, please count me in. I'd do this any time, however I'll be away for most of April, so I hope it's before or after that - I'll have more firm dates later this winter. I've always wanted to check out the ToR properties, and this one sounds great. I also am interested in a Litchfield area sortie, there are several destinations out there that could be combined into a great weekend trip.

By the way, the Hort Mag trip to Siciliy sounds good too, anyone notice that trip in the latest issue? I'm tempted.

• dawiff
    17 years ago

I think that what we really need to do is plan two different types of gatherings. And let me say I think both types of gatherings sound like lots of fun.

One would be a straightforward, one-day plant swap, like Fran suggests. It might be possible at a one-day swap to have one person do some kind of presentation, too. But mostly it would involve getting together informally with lots of plants and talking and eating.

The other type, which katy suggests, would be more formal. Also cost more and take more planning. And in my opinion, of necessity, would NOT involve swapping any plants. It just doesn't seem feasible to haul a bunch of plants to a hotel in my car. What would I do with them for the weekend? Where would we put them? They would not fare well sitting in my car for any length of time, and I don't see the inn being happy with me hauling a bunch of potted plants up to my room.

I'd be up for a get-together at the Inn, and maybe a guest lecture or two, and a formal dinner somewhere. And visits to local public gardens, nurseries, etc. But no plant swapping. Also, if it involves staying over somewhere, people would be pretty much committed to going, because they would have to reserve rooms.

I grew up on the North Shore. Ipswich is a really nice area.

Alison

• runktrun
    17 years ago

By the reaction of previous swap hosts I suppose my intentions have not been clear so I will say again that my dream is to create an ALL NEW ENGLAND swap/gathering not to replace what already exists. Dawiff is correct that as plans for an ALL NEW ENGLAND swap/gathering develop they could be two very different types of events but at this time I would rather not put any limitations to something that has yet to evolve. I say this because to be honest I have never travelled anywhere within the US when I didn't bring home a plant and often find myself buying a spare tote bag. I also give and receive plants with gardening friends all of the time and would consider the possibility of that exchange an important part of any gathering of gardeners.
    Vtskiers thanks for the link I order from Completely Clematis all the time. Perhaps at a later date we might consider asking them for a lecture/workshop on Clematis.
    dtd - The Lichfield area is another one that I have never been to and hear it is a gardeners paradise. Is there any one familiar with that area that could tell us what it would have to offer for a gardeners weekend?
    It might be smart to begin with a number of possible locations so our options are not too limited when we get to the point of checking date availability, ect. Are there any other location suggestions???

• mayalena
    17 years ago

I love the idea of more formalized garden get-togethers. I think the kind of meeting katy is describing should not be called a "swap". I would be happy to help organize. One more location possibility would be Stockbridge MA, where we could visit F Steele's Naumkeag one day, and maybe go to Lenox, MA the next to see Edith Wharton's The Mount, with newly restored estate gardens. Do we have any GWers from western MA who could provide some input? Of course, I am game for Ipswitch or Litchfield too.
    ML

• ctlady_gw
    17 years ago

I was at The Mount last month with a small group (on a tour) -- it was publicized as "primarily a garden tour" but I have to say (with the caveat that it was early October and the gardens were of course past peak) -- the gardens were very disappointing. Not as large, not as elaborate, as I had expected (and a mere shadow of what they were in Edith Wharton's time). I think anyone going there specifically to see the gardens would find it disappointing. Just my personal take -- I was expecting a lot more. (The house, on the other hand, is a fascinating tour!)