SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_seattle

Opinions about running bamboo?

grant_in_seattle
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am considering planting bamboo (either clumping or running type). I have planted some running bamboo (nice big timber bamboo) plants at previous gardens but sold them before the plants really "took off".

I'd love to hear what you think of your, or other, bamboo plants, especially those that run/spread quickly. I'm wondering if you're an obsessive gardener like I am (nothing of mine self-sows in my gardens without permission, heh heh), aren't they easy to control by removing new shoots/culms as they appear in unwanted areas?

I always think (tell me if I'm wrong) that bamboo that gets out of hand is because either a non-gardener, or a lazy or inattentive gardener, is in charge and not removing shoots outside of the desired area. What are your thoughts?

I know, I know, to control it you can plant in concrete, or with heavy thick plastic liners, etc., but is it controllable in your opinion by someone who pays attention and keeps a sharp shovel handy? Or would you just say get the clumping types (I have my eyes on several of each type, so I'm flexible).

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions/warnings/encouragement.

Take care,

Grant

Comments (20)