SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chasey11442

Running Bamboo Propagation

Chase Thomas
6 years ago

Hi all,

I recently received some bamboo plants from a nursery and divided one of them as the culms were about a foot apart from each other. After doing some research, it appears separating the bamboo at or near the neck is dangerous and can kill the bamboo. I am new to this hobby but I love plants that can rapidly spread and can be propagated easily. With this being said, I have a few questions:

1. Can the bamboo's rhizomes heal themselves after they have been cut and continue to spread and produce shoots?
  2. In running species, is the runner produced by the shoots/ canes so even if the rhizome is damaged will the shoots produce more "main" rhizomes?
  3. Is there only one runner in bamboos?
  4. Can bamboos such as Black Bamboo and Moso be propagated via roots/ cane cuttings or can they only be propagated via the rhizome.
  5. What is the correct way to propagate a running bamboo?
  6. In states where bamboo isn't "hardy" such as Northern Illinois, will it die to the ground and come back in the spring or die altogether?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I am propagating safely. In the attached picture is an example of the "neck" of the rhizome, I cutted in the MIDDLE of this, was that a mistake?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths