SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

Something special about bamboo,bamboo pole uses,composted bamboo?

lakedallasmary
18 years ago

I read that there is something special about bamboo. I did not save the site so I can't refer to it again.

It said something like there is a special enzyme or nutrient in bamboo. Does anyone know what I am taking about? It this only useful if you eat the shoots, or is it beneficial to soil organisms in some way?

I actually did a search on used of bamboo poles because I found a free source of bamboo poles. This person's house has bamboo planted against a fence probably to reduce noise, and it is spreading to the other side along the road. Many of the poles were cut for some reason. Maybe the state crew did this.

I went up to the house to ask if I could have some for my garden. they said I could have as many as I wanted. I only needed one more pole to use to cage off my tomatoes. I grapped 4 additional ones and have no clue what I will do with them. I know they can be used to grow pole beans but, I am planting a 3 sisters garden and the beans will grow on the corn.

There are also some pencil thick ones cut by the road. I am sure I can find some use for them. Not sure what though.

Maybe some one could offer suggestions.

The other thing I wonder is, if bamboo can be composted successfully. I know the dried ones woud take a long time to decompose but what about the the green ones is various stages of development. I usually compost right on my garden (mulch) but can not see doing so with bamboo poles! Maybe the younger shoots would work. The other issue is polution from the road side. I wonder how much an issue that is.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting