Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Blue Cherub,Green With Envy,Guardian Angel,Night Before Christmas

time for a few pix ..... enjoy.. ken

Blue Cherub .. wonderful clump form

{{gwi:1104531}}

Green With Envy .. a nice mini .. or small ... i think a benedict

{{gwi:1104532}}

Guardian Angel ... jsut seems to get better every year ...

{{gwi:920473}}

Night Before Christmas .. for the season

{{gwi:1104533}}

Winter Snow ... look at the ripple on the edge ..

{{gwi:932285}}

Comments (17)

• newhostaaddict
    16 years ago

nice pics ken...

can't wait till mine grow big...

keep em coming,,,

jill...

• donrawson
    16 years ago

Mine don't like near that good this time of year. How do you do it? Don

PS LOL :)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

psychotropic drugs .... lol ...

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Do you use them as a foliar spray or in granular form (LOL.. sorry)

As always, you have the best GA ever.
    I recently ordered Green with Envy. Now I'm really happy. It will be years before my NBC looks like yours, if ever.
    I think you posted a picture of your Blue Cherub in bloom a few years ago. I remember it well. It's not the same as LS Blue Cherub, which I was able to find. Where did you order it??

~ Bunnycat

• akewa
    16 years ago

Wow just beautiful. Thanks for the pics.

Original Author
    16 years ago

i do not recall the supplier.. nor when i got it ... ken

• papou
    16 years ago

Pics for the season...

{{gwi:1104534}}

{{gwi:1104536}}

Papou

• bunnycat
    16 years ago

Ken~
    I tried Googling Blue Cherub, and had to do a second search since so many results haul up Mary Chastain's LS Blue Cherub. Apparently Blue Cherub is an invalid name according to Lemke's files at Hosta Library. Maybe the name was already considered in use as a Lakeside variety?
    You probably got yours before the name change.
    It seems it is now called Azure Cherub. Maybe this one I can find for sale somewhere.
    :o)
    Bunnycat

• hostajim1
    16 years ago

Ken, it's amazing how the older ones still have the appeal, that they do, in the garden. but I'm finding that I need to make room for the new cultivars. I'll try to hang on to them a little longer. Jim King

Original Author
    16 years ago

i used to put in an order with pete ruh every year.. so i probably got it from him.. since that is where the database said it came from ....

i wonder if its an eric smith .. if it is... there is no way chastains pre dates it.. off the cuff.. research always can show otherwise ... of course.. perhaps though so named.. it may have never been registered .... and first to the registrar is the winner ....

ken

• papou
    16 years ago

During 2006, I got Cherub and Lakeside Blue Cherub. Up to now I think that they are 2 distinct hostas:

{{gwi:1104537}}

Sorry I dont have a pic of Cherub

Papou

• smorz
    16 years ago

Ken,
    Your Guardian Angel has me green with envy. Beautiful!!

• hostahaveum
    16 years ago

Great pictures guys, thanks for sharing. I too can't wait till my plants mature. I am a big sucker when it comes to blues, those Cherubs are beautiful, & my list gets longer! Thanks everyone for the enabling!~ Dot

• Hosta_Haven
    16 years ago

Ken,

Beautiful Guardian Angel! Mine got mauled by something this spring (its first year too) but came back some. I'm hoping it looks even half as good as yours in the future.

I have Green w/Envy and like it so much I have at least 4 plants (from divisions). Mine seems to have a fairly rapid growth rate.

I'm buying more soaker hoses and DEADLINE next spring. (And I don't even want to hear it from you "formaldehyde haters". I'll use it sparingly. I got nowhere with the ammonia spray. Apparently I can't get up early enough or go out late enough to make contact).

I vow to WATER, WATER, WATER and fertilize until mid July!
    I'll add compost in the spring along with coffee ground tea... Zowee, these sound like New Year's resolutions already!

Ken, you inspire me!

Char

• maryann_____chgo
    16 years ago

Mark Zilis describes 'Blue Cherub' as Tardiana-like but not one of Eric Smith's group.

This is 'Cherub' from Shady Oaks.

• i_dig_it
    16 years ago

This is my 'Cherub' 2 years old.
    {{gwi:1104540}}

Janet

• User
    16 years ago

I love the Winter Snow - I see it will be a very large hosta and I just added it to the lust list!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES