SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momofsteelex3

Perennial Flowers/tree transplants/poison ivy

momofsteelex3
11 years ago

Morning everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely weather we are having in their gardens! Too bad we will be forced to stay inside the latter half of the week and pray to the garden Gods that it doesn't get to freezing and that mother nature can get herself pulled together. Can we talk about other things besides veggie gardening here? Bc our lawn is a hot mess and I need help.

With the weather being so hokey and me not wanting to plants anything else till it calms down, I have changed my train of thought a bit. SO I have been pouring over perennials for month now and I just love them all and can't make choices. I thought I would ask here and see what everyone's favorites are.

Right now I already have a sage and lavender planted in a tub, and a Azalea. My 7 year old planted Coleus and Impatients out around the trees. And we have marigolds and sunflowers around the garden. And I planted Gladiolus and something else semi-tall in the narrow bed in the corners. I know not all of those are perennials, but I am ok with that.

I have 3 larger apple baskets I want to plant with perennials, and maybe the 2 window boxes. I would like to see something that would bloom clear into fall, and in the colors of whites, yellows, oranges, blues, pinks, purples, greens. Basically no red. They will sit in the front which faces east, so plenty of morning, early afternoon sun. I really don't care if I have to water them a lot, or very little. I plan on using an Alternative Lawn Wildflower Seed Mix for ground cover in the big bed around my pots and baskets. I just really can't pick and I can only so much a year. And was thinking someone with more Oklahoma living under their belt could guide me to something.

So..trees. I was mowing yesterday and discovered one of our Crepe Myrtle's has put off a..well to be honest, I don't know what you call them, a sapling? I am not educated in trees yet, but I am learning since becoming a country girl But its about 3 feet tall, 1 single branch so far. and its just now getting buds. Is there a way for me to dig this up and relocate it to somewhere else? I would hate to cut it down, but the 4 that are there where planted right up against the house, and this sapling is between the house and mature trees. If I do dig it, should I pot it until is established? SO then I have what I believe to be a Japanese Cherry Blossom tree. It has little branches coming out the bottoms if it, still attached to the tree itself. IS there a way to cut those off and help them sprout roots somehow to make more trees? (I told you I know nothing about trees, so if this is laughable, well..)

And lastly, poison ivy. And good remedies for getting rid of it? I went out this winter and dug it all up, or so I thought. A lot of it is back. If it wasn't in the back yard, I wouldn't care, but with 3 kids, it has to go. Its around a tree, and climbing up it, so it has to be something that won't kill the tree.

Thank you so much to anyone who answers!
Bre

Comments (7)