SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Hornworms Are Good For the Garden!

susanlynne48
17 years ago

Since much discussion is going on about growing tomatos and Dawn has brought it up, too, thought I'd add my 2 cents about hornworms.

First, there are two different kinds that you are likely to find on your tomatos (or anything else you grow in the solonaceae family, like daturas, brugs, nicotiana, petunias, etc.). One is nicknamed the "tomato hornworm", and the other is nicknamed the "tobacco hornworm". Tobacco is in the solonaceae family, too. As adult sphinx moths, both are beautiful.

They get the name "sphinx" from the way they posture when disturbed (raising the front end of their body looks like a sphinx).

They are called "hornworms" because of the typical horn found on the last segment of their body.

They are also called "hummingbird" moths because their wings move rapidly like a hummingbird. In fact, many people who see them in the daytime hours, at dusk or early morning, mistake them for hummingbirds. They hover at flowers like hummingbirds do, too.

The latin names are manduca sexta for the tobacco hornworm, and manduca quinquemaculata for the tomato hornworm. One meaning 5 stripes, the other 6 stripes on the body of the moth, the bands are yellow. They are very pretty moths.

Randy (I hope you don't mind my mentioning your name) began growing extra, less inviting tomato plants, so he could move the hornworms he found on his more desirable plants, to them.

Now, you may ask why. These moths have a very long probiscus (a hollow straw-like appendage for nectaring). They can be up to 6" long. They are the ONLY insects capable of pollinating many tubular flowers, like daturas, brugs, morning glories, petunias, trumpet and cross vines, and Randy's love, adeniums (? I know I missed the spelling on that). I would guess they also pollinate many cucurbits, okra, etc. To me, they are quite beautiful and fascinating moths.

I hand raised about 5 of them last year, from the 2 tomato plants I set out just for them. I also found them on my daturas that I planted for them. You could also plant a datura for them, too, and move them to that. They will happily eat it in lieu of the tomato because I experimented with that and it worked. Both in the same family.

It is fascinating to watch them grow. I would put in a leaf, and they would consume it so fast, it was amazing! They are furry, fuzzy looking moths when they emerge from their cocoon. BTW, they burrow under leaves, dirt, or shredded paper towels to form their pupae. I got to hold them and photograph them, and they are like having a tiny pet. Of course, I released them to perform their good duties in the garden.

I also raised other "hornworms" or sphinx moths, like the hummingbird clearwings that feed on honeysuckle and viburnum, and the eumorpha achemon sphinx moths (they lose their horn in the 3rd instar of growth) that eat Virginia Creeper or anything in the grape family. I've also raised tersa sphinx moths that love red pentas to eat.

So, I'm trying to encourage everyone to save the sphinx moths you find on your tomatos by giving them alternatives to feed on.

Try scrolling down the link I've attached to view some of our beautiful night-flying (and sometimes day-flying) moths.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx Moth Adults

Comments (18)