SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

October 2012 garden updates: what looks good/awful in your garden

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Wow, it's October! Time to get those pumpkins ready for Halloween and to enjoy the vastly improving weather. I know, I know, afternoons are still hot to some, but c'mon, mornings are lovely as are evenings. It's getting better!

What looks good, or awful in your garden? Here are a few things looking good right now:

A Matucana madisoniorum that, along with its siblings, has been blooming non stop all summer long (6 years from seed).

{{gwi:420642}}

Good old Zauschneria californica blooming all over the garden. Nothings says "autumn" to me here more than their fun, red-orange autumn blooms. Fun little fluffy seeds blow around the garden, sprouting wherever they think it best, often among cacti and succulents. Here's one of several plants blooming away--this one among the truly succulent Euphorbia royleana.

{{gwi:420644}}

An early start to our long, easy, wonderful Aloe season, this Aloe glauca is blooming away (as are the many Aloe dorothea in the garden, and A. harlana). By picking early-, mid-, and late-blooming Aloe species and hybrids, we can have aloe blooms every single week from late September through very late May. Lucky us!

{{gwi:420646}}

What's not looking good? Aloe aristata is doing its usual end of summer slump. I swear, each summer I think the thing is DEAD, but by Thanksgiving it looks good, and by New Year it looks great!

Your turn, what's looking good, or awful in your corner of the world?

Take care and happy gardening!

Grant

(Grant Meyer on G+ (Google plus) and on Facebook too)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my garden, October 2012

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21