SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

when growing seed.. you need a GOAL

i am starting a new post.. on some thoughts buried in another post ....

how do you make goals when growing seed???

============

post one:

Alright, obviously I need a larger piece of property if I'm going to give each seedling 5-10 years...so many plants, not enough yard!

===>>>>

what you need.. is a GOAL .... this was the hardest lesson to learn ...

first.. we do not need another green hosta ...

second.. you need a streaked mother.. or seeds from such.. to get variegated seedlings.. which.. in 5 to 10 years.. will settle into new edged/centered plants ... otherwise .. you are just going for one color hosta ...

so once you get to this point.. and you have a goal .. when the little babes are 2 or 4 leaf.. you throw out 90% of them ... believe it or not.. at one inch.. you can 'see' it all ....

so if you want a new tall vase shaped yellow .... and i will yell... EVERYTHING ELSE GETS THROW AWAY ... there is simply no reason to grow them .. since they do not get you to your goal ...

does that make sense.. and trust me.. throwing them out.. is the hardest thing to do .. but caring for 1000 seedlings.. IN THE HOUSE.. come march.. is a real pain in the tuckus ....

so .. grow seeds from plants with any of the following that pleases you:

size

plant shape

leaf shape

color

etc ...

but come up with a goal ....

if your goal .. is a new yellow mini.. is it really worthwhile to grow seeds from sum and substance????

now.. as a first timer.. i understand the goal is simply to play around ... and see if you can do it all .. but start contemplating the light at the end of the tunnel ... and keep firmly in mind.. do you really need 999 plain green hosta?????

you can get streaked seed from jim's .. if the others have not stated such

ken

====

post two:

too many interruptions while typing the above ....

soo

someone mentioned brother stephen .... lets say you like its leaf shape.. and size ... it has a yellow center ... which i THINK means that its seedlings will favor yellow ...

if you plant seeds from that one.. i would bet.. you will get ... if its not sterile ... 70 % yellow ... 20 % blue.. and 10% green ...

so if your goal is a blue look alike.. you throw out the all the green and yellow ...

is there any way you are starting to see the beauty of a GOAL????

you would start at the library.. with a given seed mom .. and hit the myhosta database link.. and see that BS's heritage is 'King Tut' x (x 'Mildred Seaver') .. and if your goal was a yellow.. you would see that king tut is a great yellow ... and so this would be a good one.. to raise yellows out of ... as far as the mildred seaver side.. who cares.. that one has done done to death .. lol ...

so then at the library .. flip over to king tut .. and we see a plant with vase shape.. great yellow.. etc ... IS THIS YOUR GOAL???? and then flip to the myhosta on tut .. and we see its a 'Tokudama Aureonebulosa' hybrid .. which means forget about 5 years.. you will have to grow them on for 10 to 15 years ... because tokus are known to be slower than molasses in feb ...

so setting goals.. is all about research ....

i think i will stop now.. lol ... i am guessing your eyes have glazed over at this point.. lol ...

i am going to move these two posts over to a new post ... so its searchable ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: original post

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022