SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_randolph_gw

What to grow when you're not growing?

john_randolph
16 years ago

Dear Forum,

I'm a third year vegetable gardener in east central Illinois. (That is, I've been building my garden for two years). Normally, I grow the usual (peppers, tomatoes, basil & other herbs, squash, beets, carrots, etc. along with a smattering of flowers). I've rotated things around from year to year.

Next year, however, it looks like my family and I are going to be away for most of the summer, from about June 15 to August 15. This is, of course, the real ripening and harvest season around here. I'm not sure we'll have a house sitter, and in any case, I couldn't really expect them to do more than minimal gardening.

Okay, here's the question: what are some good things to grow in an off year, to help the garden grow better the following year? I'm not really planning on planting my usual crops, to give the soil a break from them (and also frustrate various pests who may be overwintering out there as we speak).

I've seen references to buckwheat as a good, green-manure cover crop. Is that a good idea? Also, I have had problems in the past with japanese beetles, cucumber beetles, and whiteflies. Would it be good to grow beds of plants that scare these things off?

In short, I'd be grateful for anyone who has a good idea of something fun and perhaps pretty that one might do in a vegetable garden in an off year. Rather than coming back to a messy lot of rotting tomatoes, I'd love to come back to a healthier yard!

(PS: I also have grub problems in the grass, though that's not in the garden).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals