SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xxcindi0

comments on early fall and harsh winter

lroberge
17 years ago

Greetings! I wanted to gather comments on what others are observing regarding their weather and their garden or farm harvests.

Recent news discussed that the Farmer's Almanac stated the winter 2006-07 would be rough. I keep seeing (and feeling) the end of summer early and the onset of more fall like weather. As my wife stated yesterday, this is more like late Sept. weather , rather than end of August.

Furthermore, I am noticing that the garden seems to be sputtering downward; tomatoes running out of steam (less harvest) as well as the slowing of growth in other plants (peppers, squash, etc.). I am concerned that we may have an early winter-and certainly it appears we have entered an early fall. My guess is that a fall frost (killing frost ) will come early-early for Western Massachusetts.

Also, I suspect with all of the rain, this makes the conditions prime for fungal growth-diseases and general fungi and mushrooms- in gradens, lawns, etc.

Hey, folks, I would appreciate your insights and observations. The weathermen have been suggesting we are entering a pattern of weather reminescent of the 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's.

Also, if the weathermen and the Almanac are correct, it appears that a cold winter means a lot more use of firewood to keep the house warm.

What have you folks been seeing?

Have a great weeekend.

Lawrence

Comments (19)