SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judywww

what critter cuts off 1' pine limbs?

JudyWWW
17 years ago

Who dun it?????? and why?

I just discovered severe damage to my P.flexis glauca 'Pendula' that I have had for 5+ years and had a length of at least 7'. Five or six limbs varying from 1/2" to 1" up to 2" long, and from up to 18" offr the ground, cut off and left on the ground. The 1/2" cuts are completely clean and the larger ones are clean for about 3/4" and then slightly torn. Some branches are cut in half. All of the limbs appear to have been left. There are some tooth marks on the bark of the cut off branches but no real knawing. This tree is right next to some cornus....the type grown for stem color....there are a few stems cut and not completely severed....most at about 12" height. These plants have been in place for years. They are right next to my blueberriers which have no damage. I do recall that last fall something ripped some limbs off the blueberry closest to this damage. The damage was a little higher up and similar to what I'm seeing on the cornus. I assumed it was a deer sampling the blueberries last year.....end that was odd because these are 30 year old plants not previously damaged.

I thought about mountain beaver because I actually saw one of those near our barn about 2 months ago but I would have expected them to drag away the limbs. Also thought of porcupines which we see very occasionaly but seem to be stymied by our field fence.

Any ideas?????? thanks, JudyWWW

Comments (12)