SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Gorgeous weeping atl blue cedar too close to house --help!

mahatmacat1
14 years ago

We're in the PDX suburbs, and have reluctantly come to the admission that this gorgeous weeping atlantic blue cedar, which is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing and is such a beauty, is just planted too close to the house. WE DIDN'T DO IT, just so people know -- we would never have planted it there, nor would we have planted most things where our home's previous owner would have--I spent most of the first year moving things to their proper places. We've been too irrationally optimistic, though, about this tree, since it's so visible right next to our front door.

So we have to remove it. But I'm wondering -- is there any possibility that it could be saved and transplanted somewhere else? We don't really have room for it anywhere, but if anyone would want a free weeping Atlantic blue cedar, you're welcome to it. It's about 6" in diameter at this point. It's pretty two-dimensional right now, since it was planted so close to the house, but it's starting to reach out more to the side so it would have dimensionality if you want it.

OR, do we just have to hack it up and somehow do in the roots? What is the best way to go about this, anyway? I've never done this with a tree located in a place like this before -- we did once in NC when we lived there, but our neighbor hooked the trunk of the tree up to his truck and pulled, once we'd root-pruned it as far as we could with pickaxes. This is too far from the road for that.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. If you're interested, we're on the west side and I can give you details via e-mail.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH