SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Mortal Combat in the Garden: Rattler Vs. Hawk

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

I came home from the fire station today after being away for several hours and found a "surprise" in my butterfly bed.

To set the scene: all the dogs were either in the house or garage when I got home, so I let them out into their dog yard. (I put them inside when I leave for a grassfire or wildfire so that they are safe if the fire makes it into our pasture.) They immediately began barking and carrying on. I rushed outside (on the outside of the dog yard too) and saw a dead bird, belly up, in the butterfly bed. I was really confused and kept asking myself how the dogs could have killed the bird outside the pen when they all were in the pen.

I walked closer to the "chicken" to see which one it was, and was more confused, because I could see the head of a venomous snake sticking up from the bird. The dogs were inside the pen but less than 8" or 10" from the snake barking their fool heads off. So, I brought all the dogs back into the house, or garage, depending on where they are allowed to go, and ran back outside to make sure the cats weren't getting close to the snake. (sigh)

I still hadn't grasped what had happened. The bird's breast was the color of a Buff Orpington or something and the feet were "wrong" but my brain still told me it was a guinea or a chicken. Afraid to leave the snake for fear it would get away, I called a neighbor (a firefighter!) and asked if he could come shoot the snake. He was several miles away but said he'd be right there. Then I called my DH to report something had killed one of "our" birds and he told me to keep my eye on that snake so it wouldn't get away and live to kill another "pet".

I stood watching the snake, still thinking it was most likely a copperhead (I could only see a little of it because most of it was underneath the bird) and that it had killed a Silver-laced Wyandotte or a Barred Rock.

Super Firefighter arrived with a gun and shot the snake. He and I both were puzzled about why the snake hadn't "fled". Then, he went to turn over the chicken so we could look at it...and it was a hawk!

So, here's what we think happened. The hawk must have swooped down to get the snake, and the snake somehow managed to strike the bird. Apparently the bird had the snake stuck under its body, or perhaps had hold of it with one talon (only one was sticking out where we could see it), so the snake couldn't flee from the barking dogs or from me. So, we had a trapped snake, a dead bird, and a confused woman.

All is well that ends well. All the chickens had already put themselves in their coop and the guineas were lying on the lawn watching the "drama" unfold as Super Firefighter arrived with his shotgun. Once he fired the gun, though, the guineas headed for another country. LOL

Have I ever mentioned that it is never dull around here? I'm still not sure why the snake didn't flee. I stayed 6 or 8 feet away and it easily could have slithered down the hill and into the woods. At one point, I took a step closer and it rattled at me....and I was so confused at that point that I said to myself "why is that copperhead rattling at me?" (Well, you know, I was really tired and it isn't every day you see a dead bird/snake combo hanging out in the butterfly garden.) I did notice the snake's head was puffed up really huge....and I've never seen that before.

All in all, I am just relieved that the dogs and cats stayed out of it, all the poultry were safe, and (thank the Lord) I didn't try to pick up/dispose of the bird carcass and get bitten by the rattler.

It is too early for the snakes to be up and out, but with temps in the 80s recently, who can blame them?

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, every day here at our place is either a circus or a zoo, and I never know which one it is going to be.

Dawn

Comments (13)