SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

what's the most divisions at one time have you done to a plant?

Let's say you have a plant that is a healthy and full 1 gallon pot size and you divide it. What's the most number of pieces you've divided it into? I took a 1 gallon dianthus that was very root bound and got four pieces out of it, all lived to the next year. I actually meant to divide it into three, but one small piece broke off and lived anyway. When plants winter over they always seem to come back larger in the spring, so it's tempting to take some favorites that don't produce true seed and do some serious dividing for some quick plant multiplication. Last week I took my Shasta Daisy (probably a normal Alaska) and turned it into several smaller pieces. It hasn't been too hot, but the plants are still pretty stressed and I baby them with regular deep watering, usually twice a day. I divided a different Shasta into just two pieces and it's not nearly as stressed. I can handle stressed as long as it survives! (Yes, I know August is not the idea time, but sometimes you gotta to do what gotta do when you gotta do it.) Since I'm still new to this, I wondered what your experience is. At our plant swap people come with very small pieces that live and flourish in the garden. Makes me wonder if I could TEN divisions out of a plant!

(Well, maybe not ten out of a 1 gallon plant...)

Comments (5)