SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwilk42

Seed starting mix

mwilk42
13 years ago

I am finally going to ask. Does anyone besides me HATE Jiffy seed starting mix? I have never had worse luck with my seed starting than this year. I would have preferred to get the ProMix, but I was not in OKC at the time I needed to get this going. THe only choice I had ( and yes, I realize that if you only have one choice, you don't don't really have a choice) was the Jiffy. This is the first year I have used seed starting mix. I always used potting soil and had a lot better luck with it. After reading everyone's success with seed starting mix, I decided that I was going about it wrong, and thought that I would try it, and that I might have even better results with it. This has been a huge source of irritation for me and I decided a few days ago that maybe I am just not a gardener. As badly as I hate to admit that, I decided to post and see if anyone has had poor luck with the Jiffy. I probably started 50 pepper plants. had maybe a dozen germinate, but then nothing. I tried to start some more, I would say maybe some 30 more, and what I am ending up with is 4 peppers that look like they might make it. and one that is iffy. Out of prob. 4 dozen tomatoes, - less than 2 dozen. Even when I wintersowed tomatoes I had better luck, although they were much later, and I decided to do them inside- and although some of the seeds are not new this year, many of them were purchased this year so I know that they are not all old. I don't want everyone to be having this kind of deal, but it might make me feel better to hear that perhaps Jiffy is some of the issue.

thanks-

mo

Comments (27)