SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amy_wickett

help! what seed starting mix to use?

Amy Wickett
6 years ago

I am wondering what seed starting mix to use would be the best. I would prefer to make my own, as the seed starting mix I bought did not work well (it was jiffy mix seed starting mix).

I have found a couple seed starting mix recipes. The first is soilless, it is light and would be used to germinate the seeds; the seedlings would stay in this mix until they get their first or second set of true leaves. Then they woud be repotted to larger pots.

The second recipe contains topsoil and is the mixture the seedlings would be repotted in in larger pots. The reason for this is the first mixture is very light in texture which is good for germinating seeds; unfortunately this dries out very quickly, and the seedlings will be under lights, compounding the issue.

Will these recipes work? They are both listed below:

seed starting mix recipe no 1 (light in texture contains no soil/dirt, will be used to germinate seeds)

10 gallons perlite

10 gallons spagnum peat moss

1.5 gallons vermiculite

8 tablespoons dolomitic lime

1/2 cup biotone starter plus (a fertilizer and the recipe says it is optional)

My question about this mix is what size should the perlite andvermiculite be, coarse, medium, or fine. Should I add pine bark fines to rhe above mix? if so, how many gallons?

seed starting mix recipe no 2 (heavier, contains topsoil, and is what the seedlings will be repotted to into larger pots)

19 qts topsoil

8 gallons peat moss

5 gallons perlite

3/4 cup fertilizer (slow release)

1/2 cup dolomitic lme

Should I add pine bark fines t this recipe as well? If so how many gallons should I addto the above mix and what size in diameter should the bark be 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch etc.) Also same questionas before what size should the perlitebe coarse medium or fine?

Comments (3)