SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Advice about sweet potato slips

Pamchesbay
11 years ago

Hi all,

We are still freezing in Virginia - snow last night, rain today, more snow and/or sleet tonight. During last week of March, our average high temp is 60. This year, our highs are running 20 degrees lower than normal. We are also super wet.

I started seeds for broccoli, cabbage, kale on Feb 9, peppers on Feb 17, tomatoes on March 9 and March 15. The kale and broccoli seedlings are still inside with the peppers and tomatoes. I stopped using lights years ago because I can put seedlings out on the porch to get sun. All seedlings planted in Feb look pitiful. I am undecided about whether to start again.

Anyway ...

After reading on a weather site that "March behaved like February, and the first half of April will be what March is usually like," I decided to fight SAD by starting sweet potato slips. I've never grown slips before so decided to go by the advice given on the forum last year:

"sink an entire sweet potato about 3/4 of it's depth in a flat of potting mix ... keep this moist, warm and in light, and it will sprout in a couple weeks. When the slips reach about 5 or 6," I break them off and transplant them into potting mix on their own."

Today, I put six small to medium sized sweets that have begun to sprout in a tray with potting soil like this:

I put 6-7 smallish sweets in two more trays - then it hit me that three trays with about 20 sweet potatoes may make a lot more slips than I need:

Last year, I grew 80-90 plants, harvested 160-170 lbs of sweets. Don't think I need that many plants - 50-60 plants is probably sufficient, especially if I do a better job growing them.

Is there a rule of thumb about how many slips to expect from an average sweet potato? Most of these are in the 6-8-10 oz range. One potato between the trays is 1.5 lbs, the other is 15 oz.

Do I need my head examined for starting down the sweet potato road while conditions are so miserable?

Many thanks,
Pam

Comments (4)